View Full Version : Mobile Gizmo Compares the SMT5600 And the MPx220

Mike Temporale
11-01-2004, 01:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilegizmo.com/24/231.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilegizmo.com/24/231.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I could sit here and rattle off all manner of comparisons between the Audiovox SMT 5600 and the MPx220, and what they offer and which is better.What it really comes down to is a simple question: What do you want? The answer to this question is based on your personal preferences and lifestyle. There are pros and cons for each device. My objective for this article isn’t to persuade you to buy one over the other. It is my intent to help you see the differences as well as the pros and cons between the SMT 5600 and MPx220."</i><br /><br />Mobile Gizmo has just published an article detailing the differences between the Motorola MPx220 and the Audiovox SMT5600. If you're still on the bench about which device to buy, if at all, then you should really check this out. If you already purchased one, and you are second guessing your choice, then you might want to read this article too. :wink:

possmann
11-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Excellent article - I like howthe author wrote this - not just based on the facts and figures and raw technical data but more geared towards how you would use the device...

For me, I now know that I can buy the HTC product with confidence ;)

Mike Temporale
11-01-2004, 04:56 PM
For me, I now know that I can buy the HTC product with confidence ;)

Have you made your final decision? Last I recall it was the SDA you were planning on getting.

possmann
11-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Well I think I have - the only thing I'm not happy about is where that MiniSD is located, but overall the HTC devices are more appealing to what I would be using this phone for.

Let's see what T-Mo offers and when... (which will be the SDA - but aren't they really the same when it comes down to it?)

Raven
11-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Really amazing review....

I already own the SMT5600 and now know for sure that I won't be changing over to the MPX220. (mainly coz of battery life)

The inclusion of WMP10 is working great. I use it to automatically sync a few podcasts every week so I can listen to them whenever I have time. Only wish the audio could be streamed to my bluetooth headset so I could listen to them while driving to work...

seaflipper
11-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Very happy with my SMT5600, this article just reinforces that for me, like some others. Yes, the MPx220 is a perhpas a "sexier phone" (although much much bigger!) I like the keypad better than the SMT5600, at least in looks, I haven't actually played with one yet.

However, this would be a total deal breaker for me:

One big difference between the MPx220 and other SMT 5600 is that the MPx220 uses Motorola's iTAP instead of T9. I prefer T9 over iTAP any day! I tried hard to like iTAP but the subtle differences drove me nuts.

What was Moto thinking? The MPx200 has t9. T9 is incredible, you can actually type with it. The more I have used my SMT5600, the faster I become at it, almost as fast as somone using one of those keyboards on a Nokia 6800 or 6820 (and I have used them too). T9 is great, iTap is horrid.

If Moto was serious about using this as a business phone, they have really made a big blunder on this issue alone.

aristoBrat
11-01-2004, 10:45 PM
One thing I really REALLY like about the 5600's keyboard is that the Send Call / End Call buttons are vertically oriented. This makes finding the End Call button extremely easy "to feel" without having to look at the phone.

Kris Kumar
11-02-2004, 03:34 AM
However, this would be a total deal breaker for me:

One big difference between the MPx220 and other SMT 5600 is that the MPx220 uses Motorola's iTAP instead of T9. I prefer T9 over iTAP any day! I tried hard to like iTAP but the subtle differences drove me nuts.

What was Moto thinking? The MPx200 has t9. T9 is incredible, you can actually type with it. The more I have used my SMT5600, the faster I become at it, almost as fast as somone using one of those keyboards on a Nokia 6800 or 6820 (and I have used them too). T9 is great, iTap is horrid.

If Moto was serious about using this as a business phone, they have really made a big blunder on this issue alone.

The subtle differences are driving me nuts too. But overall I am pretty impressed with iTAP.