View Full Version : Microsoft Talks About The Future Of Windows Mobile

Mike Temporale
10-26-2004, 07:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=134567&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=2&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1' target='_blank'>http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=134567&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=2&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Mike Wehrs, Microsoft's director of technology and standards for its Mobility Division, has detailed Microsoft's future mobile plans."</i><br /><br />Mike Wehrs talked about a large number of really cool things. It seems that Microsoft is really working hard at making the Windows Mobile device (both Smartphone and Pocket PC) more flexible, and easier to develop for, and at the same time, keeping the cool factor high! <br /><br />I've highlighted a number of key points from the ComputerWeekly article below. However, I do suggest you read the linked article for a full grasp of what Mike Wehrs is talking about. :D <br /><br /><b>Update:</b> Opps! I seem to have missed an all important point at the very end of the article. Sprint is planning to release the HTC Vivida. 8O :D <br /><br /> <!> Microsoft will release Version 2.0 of its .net Compact Framework (CF) before the end of the year. Version 2.0 will add a number of new features to improve the graphics capabilities of smartphones.<br /> next version of the .net CF will support DirectShow<br /> support for device management so that enterprise line of business applications can download code and content securely.<br /> Targeted technology for VoIP support includes using the OS to bridge the various network protocols, such as integration of SS7, the landline interconnect protocol, with wireless 802.11x protocols and session handoff. <br /> Intelligent power management is another feature Microsoft labs is currently working on. Smarter power management would vary such elements as screen brightness, depending on the kind of recharging schedule the user deploys.<br /> Microsoft intends to go beyond voice dialing commands to natural language understanding so that a user could use a voice request to browse the web<br /> Sprint will become the last of the major wireless carriers to offer a Windows Mobile smartphone from AudioVox Communications with a slider that hides the keyboard

Kevin Daly
10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Is that the end this year they'll be releasing CF v. 2.0 by?
That would be very cool.

Please, oh please HP, just this once offer it in a ROM update

jonathan_moeller
10-27-2004, 02:29 AM
I think the author or speaker confused the Smartphone with PocketPC Phone. The same day/event Sprint annouced the HTC Harrier (Audiovox brand) with a slide out keyboard. The Vivida doesn't have a keyboard (QWERTY), it has a slide out key pad (123). I don't think this is an indication of the Vivida (although I wish it was).

Jonathan

Mike Temporale
10-27-2004, 03:33 AM
It's hard to say for sure. I think you may be right, but so many people just toss around the smartphone term, and same with using keyboard instead of keypad. Why does it always have to be so confusing? :?

Kris Kumar
10-27-2004, 04:06 AM
I agree with Mike. Why does it have to be so confusing.

If it were not for the term keyboard, everything else points in the direction of Smartphone and Vivida. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

GSM market has choices. Waiting for the CDMA market to jump into the Smartphone fray. Its time to boot out the Samsung i600. The newer Smartphones with Bluetooth can put the faster CDMA data networks to some good use. :-)

Kris Kumar
10-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Don't want to get into lawyer speak. ;-)

But read the line
..with a slider that hides the keyboard

A slider that hides the keyboard. The HTC Blue Angel/PPC PE has a slide out keyboard. :? Vivida has slider that hides the keypad. PPC PE has keyboard that slides out from under the body of the PPC.

Sorry couldn't resist posting the above statement. :lol: