View Full Version : SMT5600 in Cingular area

sn1p3t
10-24-2004, 11:19 AM
I just read the story about getting $25 for buying the SMT5600 smartphone off of Amazon. I feel this is definantly the time to get a smart phone.

However, I have a problem. I currently reside up in college with the zip 83843. AT&T service is not available up here, but Cingular is. Can I sign up with the service zip as 83616 (my home zip), where there is AT&T service, and then just bring the phone up here and use Cingular's service?

Also, about the SMT5600. I've heard bad things about the joystick. Are there USB joysticks or something like that I can use if I choose to play games? :P

Thanks

Mike Temporale
10-24-2004, 12:32 PM
There are no USB joysticks that I am aware of. There is another model call the SP3i or T-Modile SDA which is the same phone with a different case and joystick. This has just been released in Germany (within the last couple weeks) but so far there is no mention if or when this will make it to north america.

As for signing up at home and using it with Cingular. I'm not sure what the current state of the AT&T / Cingular merger is. I'm not sure if they have opened up roaming yet or not. You could also buy it, get it unlocked and then use it on your Cingular account. (Note: unlocking is not available for this phone - yet).

Kris Kumar
10-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Can I sign up with the service zip as 83616 (my home zip), where there is AT&T service, and then just bring the phone up here and use Cingular's service?

That should work. :-)
AT&T and Cingular do have roaming agreement (which was put in a month or so after Cingular decided to buy AT&T). As far as I know the roaming is free. But that it should be confirmed. Check out this FAQ. (https://www.attwireless.com/ocs/faq/cingularfaq.html)

Q: Why does my phone read "Cingular" when I'm roaming?
A: We've already opened up some coverage areas with Cingular through our expanded roaming agreement. If you see "Cingular" on your phone, it means you're being covered by their network.

sn1p3t
10-24-2004, 09:08 PM
[quote=sn1p3t]Can I sign up with the service zip as 83616 (my home zip), where there is AT&T service <snipped>

The FAQ says "some" Cingular areas. Is it only in select areas (in which case I'll assure you I'm not in), or is that just legal cover in case they find a Cingular tower that hasn't been switched over?

Also, do I get all my extra features when roaming on a Cingular tower? e.g. data transfer, voice mail notification / text messeging, etc...?

Kris Kumar
10-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Sorry not aware of the details. I am not a Cingular/AT&T customer. :-(

Will have to wait for an AT&T user to respond to this question.

jfreiman
10-25-2004, 12:52 AM
Before I got my SMT 5600 I was on the Cingular network (San Francisco) and now I am using ATT - well sort of.

My ATT signal is barely existant in my apartment and I set my phone to manually select Cingular. All my mobile phone features work, Internet, calls, forwarding etc.

I don't believe that I am paying any additional fees for using Cingular, but will find out in anohter 20 days or so when my first bill arrives. ;)

sn1p3t
10-25-2004, 03:04 AM
I just called AT&T customer service.

1) All Cingular roaming is free.

2) I won't get any special features (text messaging etc..). The AT&T support rep told me in "a few weeks" the merger will be complete and I'll get all my service on Cingular towers. I doubt it will be that fast, but I'm still hoping!

jfreiman
10-25-2004, 03:31 AM

2) I won't get any special features (text messaging etc..). The AT&T support rep told me in "a few weeks" the merger will be complete and I'll get all my service on Cingular towers. I doubt it will be that fast, but I'm still hoping!

Strange, I get and receive all text messaging - including MMS messaging when connected to Cingular.

Anyways, thanks for finding out that I will not have any huge bills this coming statement. ;)

sn1p3t
10-25-2004, 05:47 PM

Strange, I get and receive all text messaging - including MMS messaging when connected to Cingular.

Anyways, thanks for finding out that I will not have any huge bills this coming statement. ;)

Hmm. Maybe it works in some Cingular towers and some other ones it won't? Oh well, in a few days I'll have my hands on a smart phone in a Cingular area and I'll be able to tell you :P