View Full Version : Audiovox SMT 5600 Impressions and Feature Requests / Bug Reports

pheller
10-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Posted this on microsoft.public.smartphone, and figured I might as well cross post here.

I just picked this phone up on Sunday, so my experience has been a bit limited, but here are my impressions and feature requests / bug reports.

The phone's size is excellent. How this much electronics can be packed into such a small space is just amazing.

The phone feels well built. The surface has an ever so slight texture that
is nice to the touch which makes it feel as if has gone through a good bit
of user acceptance testing. I only have noticed two things about the fit
and finish:

1) When holding the phone to my ear, I can feel my facial stubble get
stuck on some portion of the screen. Strange! This is resolved by using a Bluetooth headset.
2) While operating the phone, the seam between the battery cover and the phone (near the camera) can be felt moving ever so slightly. The battery cover does fit very snugly though. This is not much of a problem but the first time you notice it, it seems like something is loose.

From a software standpoint, the phone is pretty good. Things are pretty
snappy, and I am happy. Configuration has occasionally been spotty, though.

What would be useful in the fairly non-existent documentation is a
configuration tree, showing where all available settings are located. Also,
a thorough description for each setting would be nice. Two specific things
about the configuration that irked me and are slightly related:

1) Activesync over Bluetooth. The configuration from the phone's
perspective does make sense, however it is so incredibly non-intuitive that I kept thinking there was something wrong with the Bluetooth stack in my software. The process that worked for me:
a) Initiate pairing from laptop, get the inbound serial port created
(inbound to PC = outbound from phone)
b) Tell activesync to look to that inbound serial port for serial
sync
c) Go through "setup bt activesync" option from activesync phone
menu. Once it puts you in the Bluetooth settings, select menu, then
devices, then find the PC, bond again, and "connect via Bluetooth" from
activesync menu. Voila!

2) Pairing with a Bluetooth Headset. It just seemed non-intuitive to
find the option to pair with a device where it is. Never-the-less, I
managed to find it in only a minute or two.

The few applications I've already loaded include Agile Messenger (like
Trillian, with AOL IM, MSN, Yahoo, etc, -- even supports a Nextel style
push-to-talk feature over AOL IM), City Time (quite useful, but needs to get Weather for the configured cities at a configurable interval), CodeWallet Pro (great for having passwords at your fingertips and can sync with a Desktop Version that could use a couple improvements), and MxConverter (great for mass, length, and currency conversion).

The applications that I still need include an SSH Client (I hear Putty is
being ported), Zagat for Smartphone (even though I could just use the web version), and a pocket GPS software for eventual use with a Bluetooth GPS.

Hopefully this is something that Pocket Streets can do.

--------------------------

Now, for the Bugs and Feature Request

1) Sometimes, GRPS via Bluetooth Modem (to PC) will remain logged in even once the PC has gone out of range for more than a moment or two.

2) Voice Dial / End Call action from Bluetooth headset has no effect when
keypad is locked (with the exception of if a call was received).

3) Attempting to keypad lock the phone (by holding the end call button),
while in a call, ends the call.

4) Sometimes Bluetooth turns itself off after interaction with the bluetooth
headset.

5) Contact selection for MMS composition does not allow search with t9 style name matching, as does the normal contact list, and each contact is listed multiple times (once for each number / email).

6) MMS and Caller ID applications have different look and feel than other
standard applications

7) Sometimes the phone will spontaneously return to the home screen. *RESOLVED* was simply the home screen timeout being set to 60 seconds or something similar.

8) Have had to reboot the device for a few reasons -- on being that it
doesn't recognize that it is attached via USB (battery life indicator does
not reflect charging, and windows reports that an unknown device is attached to the bus.)

9) memory management needs some work -- after a fresh boot, the phone has something like 11MB free, whereas it only has 4 or 5 after a days worth of use, even if I kill applications with the task manager

10) "beaming" should allow selection of method before looking for IR or
Bluetooth Devices

11) applications that can initiate Bluetooth connections, like activesync,
should turn on Bluetooth when an option like "connect via Bluetooth" is
selected, and then back off after the sync.

12) there should be an ability for auto keylock (not device lock) at some
configurable interval

13) Occasionally, the phone will get confused about it's profile settings.
I.e., last night, I tried to adjust the ringer volume and set "vibrate and
ring" for the normal profile. Once I did this, there was no change. So, I
change profiles and change back, thinking that some data structure was not properly updated. Still no go. Finally, rebooting the phone resolved.
----------------------
Now some questions for others:

1) should applications exit upon task switch? Some applications don't
provide a method to exit, and thus they run until they are ended with task
manager. E.g., if I'm using file manager and I hit the home button to get
back to the start menu, should the file manager just exit? It's simple
enough to reopen. I understand keeping some applications open, like
Bluetooth gps navigation software, or agile messenger.

*ANSWERED* Apparently I must generally rely on the phone to know when to close applications based upon resource availability. Aside from that, the task manager or Oxios Hibernate is the way to go.

2) how to switch between open applications? it seems that the "back" key is somehow analogous to alt-tab.

*ANSWERED* The back key in combination with either the task manager, or simply reselecting the application via homescreen icon or start menu entry is the way to move between applications.

3) Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Bluetooth Stack and Activesync -- the stack needs to have a way to make the inbound COM port persistent, even when the bluetooth radio is off. It is really annoying to hibernate, suspend, or alter which radios are operating, then see that Activesync has changed the serial port to something that is still available.

Anyways, hope this mini review has been useful for some and that the
Microsoft lurkers can look into some of my bug reports / feature requests.
:-)

--
--phil

Kris Kumar
10-23-2004, 03:39 PM

You are right, its amazing how much stuff has been built into a small device.

aristoBrat
10-23-2004, 05:02 PM
5) Contact selection for MMS composition does not allow search with t9 style name matching, as does the normal contact list, and each contact is listed multiple times (once for each number / email).
Yeah, that's a huge bummer.

FWIW, I've running an IMATE ROM on my SMT5600 and that issue is still present, so its not specific to the SMT5600.

pheller
10-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Yeah, that's a huge bummer.

FWIW, I've running an IMATE ROM on my SMT5600 and that issue is still present, so its not specific to the SMT5600.

From what I gathered elsewhere, Microsoft bought some 3rd party MMS composition software, and that's why there is a difference in operation, look, and feel. Could be wrong though.

Fortunately, I don't send enough MMS messges for this to really bother me all that much.

Danborg
10-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Anyways, hope this mini review has been useful for some and that the
Microsoft lurkers can look into some of my bug reports / feature requests.
:-)

--
--phil

Here's a bug I've just discovered:

Photo Caller ID doesn't work if my bluetooth headset is attached.
Anyone else experiencing this? Works fine in regular mode.

apeguero
10-24-2004, 11:39 PM
2) While operating the phone, the seam between the battery cover and the phone (near the camera) can be felt moving ever so slightly. The battery cover does fit very snugly though. This is not much of a problem but the first time you notice it, it seems like something is loose.

This is funny. I thought it was just my phone that did this.

The applications that I still need include an SSH Client (I hear Putty is being ported), Zagat for Smartphone (even though I could just use the web version), and a pocket GPS software for eventual use with a Bluetooth GPS.

Hopefully this is something that Pocket Streets can do.

I would also like to see a MS Money for Smartphone that will synch with my desktop version. Just like the MS Money for Pocket PC. This will completely replace my H2210, which will be going to eBay soon :D

2) Voice Dial / End Call action from Bluetooth headset has no effect when keypad is locked (with the exception of if a call was received).

What about making a voice activated call via bluetooth? I had the Motorola H810 and although it worked well, it could not make a call when the keypad was locked. I had to remove the phone from the case, unlock it, then press the call button on the headset in order to make a voice activated call. I e-mailed Audiovox about this and their reply was that "it's the way it was designed". I e-mail Moto about this, their reply was that the headset is not 100% compatible with non-Moto phones. Tisk-tisk. I got pissed and returned it. I mean, what's the benefit of having a $100.00 device when you have to do half the work still by removing the phone and unlocking the keypad. Can't the developers just add a couple of commands to the headset that says: "if first press of headset action button fails to activate voice command, then send keypress "#", "#", then activate voice command. This way the first # will wake the phone up and make it prompt you to press the # to unlock (which is what the second # is for).

3) Attempting to keypad lock the phone (by holding the end call button), while in a call, ends the call.

Try 1/2 pressing the power button and then press the 3 key to lock the keypad.

Now some questions for others:

1) should applications exit upon task switch? Some applications don't
provide a method to exit, and thus they run until they are ended with task
manager. E.g., if I'm using file manager and I hit the home button to get
back to the start menu, should the file manager just exit? It's simple
enough to reopen. I understand keeping some applications open, like
Bluetooth gps navigation software, or agile messenger.

I'd say no to this. I prefer to either close the task myself or close it through task manager. But I'd rather it stays open. This way I don't miss my place in the opened program. This is why I eventually dumped my PalmTungsten T, because I couldn't have Pocket Quicken and the calculator opened at the same time. So, every time I opened the calculator to add up some figures Pocket Quicken task was killed. I hated this, especially when enterring a bunch of split transactions.

Hey, good job on this post. Are you going to forward this to Microsoft?

Pete Teoh
10-26-2004, 09:05 PM
I just got my SMT5600 yesterday. This is my first Smartphone device. One annoyance I've uncovered is that there is no way to cleanly disconnect Bluetooth ActiveSync. I have to navigate into the Bluetooth settings, turn the radio off and back on again to disconnect ActiveSync. There should be an option to disconnect from the ActiveSync application.

Also, I've had the device lock up on me a couple of times. I can't get it out of keypad locked mode. Nothing I press works. After about a minute or so it starts responding to key presses again and I can unlock the keypad.

Kris Kumar
10-27-2004, 12:23 AM
One annoyance I've uncovered is that there is no way to cleanly disconnect Bluetooth ActiveSync. I have to navigate into the Bluetooth settings, turn the radio off and back on again to disconnect ActiveSync. There should be an option to disconnect from the ActiveSync application.

I hate that too and agree that ActiveSync should have an option. Infact its the same deal with IR also.

aristoBrat
10-27-2004, 01:53 AM
At least with IR ActiveSync you can just move the phone out of sight of the computer and it "cancels". BlueTooth .. not so easy. LOL

I think MSMobiles had a link to a freeware program that you could assign to a speed dial to quickly turn BT on and off....

Pete Teoh
10-27-2004, 02:48 AM
RF performance seems to be sub-par on mine. I have very weak signal in my office but I can usually still receive and make calls with my Sony Ericsson T616. Today, every single call I made and received dropped within 30 seconds. It could be a fluke today, so I'm bringing both phones to the office tomorrow to compare.

Startup and shutdown also takes FOREVER compared to the other phones I've used. This wouldn't normally be that much of an issue, but with the memory management issues of the OS, I have to restart more often.

Things are not looking good for this device... at least for me. It may be going back to the AT&T Wireless store.

aristoBrat
10-27-2004, 03:04 AM
This wouldn't normally be that much of an issue, but with the memory management issues of the OS, I have to restart more often.
What are you doing to the phone that you run into memory management issues? My last power off was over a week ago and it's been cruising every since...

Pete Teoh
10-27-2004, 03:59 AM
This wouldn't normally be that much of an issue, but with the memory management issues of the OS, I have to restart more often.
What are you doing to the phone that you run into memory management issues? My last power off was over a week ago and it's been cruising every since...
I set up the phone to retrieve email from 2 POP3 accounts every 15 minutes, and MSN Messenger is on most of the time. I keep running into problems when I use the video cam feature. It tells me it can't record a video because of low memory. Killing all other apps with the Task Manager works sometimes, but after a few times doing that it no longer frees up enough memory to run the video cam.

Pete Teoh
10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Another bug is the BT menu option in ActiveSync. The "Setup BT ActiveSync..." and "Connect via Bluetooth" options keep swapping menu order between 3 and 4.

seven
11-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Here are what I consider to be the problems that I've noticed with mine.

1. Backlight stays on indefinitely while syncing. I haven't noticed if it does this while charging with the wall plug since I haven't used it. But, it's annoying having the backlight on at night when I'm trying to sleep or something, not to mention I worry about how it will effect the life of the screen.

2. Headphones that come with it don't seem to work the way I would expect for handsfree dialing. I hit the button and it doesn't do anything. Won't start a call, won't end a call. Nothing. I have pull out the phone and hold vol. down to do voice dial and hit the end button on the phone to hang up.

3. BT headphones, same problem as with the wired.

4. Maybe this isn't even possible, but why can't I list to music over BT headset? I go to play a mp3 or video and expect the music to come out the headset, but it just comes out the speaker phone as usual.

5. I created a folder inside the "Start Menu" directory so that I could put shortcuts to media files on the storage card. I can put a shortcut to a file and it works fine. But, I wanted a shortcut to a directory on the storage card so I could just drop files in there. It works when I click the shortcut on my PC while it's hooked up, but when I select it on the phone it gives an error and says it can't find it. The only thing I can think of is that when I look at the properties in the File Exporer it shows the target as "\Storage Card\Music" and I would think since it's a directory it should be "\Storage Card\Music\" but I can't find any way to go about changing it. :(

Admittedly some of these problems may be due to my ignorance of how to set it properly or something, but I've read through the manual and can't find any help there, so feel free to enlighten me if you know how to fix any of them.

Thanks,
Seven