View Full Version : MPx220 Hangs on Shutdown

lurch
10-22-2004, 05:33 AM
If my MPx220 has been on for longer than about an hour (usually it's several hours at least), it hangs when I shut it down. I get the motorola and cingular goodbye screens, the screen turns off, but the backlight of the keys stay on. Then when I press the keys (after waiting a bit) I can hear the "click" sound the OS makes when I press a button, and the screen comes back on (after a bit) to a generic white/gray screen. From there it's completely stuck and I have to remove the battery to get it to shut down.

The wierdest part is that this is my 2nd MPx220. I took the first one back yesterday because of the exact same problem (thought it was a defective phone). This time, I decided to wait a few days before installing any programs, to see if an app I installed caused the problem before. Still there though.

Has anybody else run across this? It's very frustrating, and I don't know if I will keep the phone if this keeps up -- that's a lot of money to pay for something that I have to remove the battery to shut down.

I suppose my next step is to contact Motorola and get their plastic-wrapped answer saying "our phone is awesome, we are so proud of it, you must be misunderstanding it's function" or some junk like that. But I supposed I should at leaslt try.

If you've run across this, please respond so I know I'm not going crazy!!! 8O

lurch
10-22-2004, 06:40 AM
I've just now begun narrowing it down. I used to think it was based on time, but now I'm realizing it's based on application usage. It's just that before, it took me time before I used many applications.

Just tonight, it was shut down and charging. I started it up, loaded Outlook Mail, Active sync'd it over the air (GPRS) to my work email, loaded contacts, calendar, IE (and surfed a page or two) and I think that was it. I looked at the resource manager (the task manager) to see what was running, and I saw iexplorer.exe, tmail.exe, and a few other programs, and when I shut it down, it froze up. This was after it was powered on for a few minutes only.
Remember, I've not installed a single program yet on this device.
I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to reproduce that, slowly (hopefully narrowing it down to one app or another) but I can't get it to freeze up again.

So frustrating. The good news, though, is if it's an application error, I can just make sure to kill everything in my task manager before shutting down every time. Well, I guess that's good news. Doesn't sound like it!

I still welcome and crave thoughts on this!! Thanks!!

Mike Temporale
10-22-2004, 11:04 AM
So what happens when you turn it on, and do nothing but phone calls - or nothing at all, for a hour or so? This would really indicated if it's an application problem.

lurch
10-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Funny you should ask: I just woke up :), and I woke up because my phone vibrated and beeped saying "You've got mail" (not those words though, I'm not crazy :) ). But I had it turned off last night!!

So apparently it turned on sometime during the night (fairly recently, because the battery is still full), activesync'd remotely automatically one or more times (I have it set up to sync every 5 minutes), and then alerted me to email. I woke up, wasn't sure what was going on, so I checked my email, saw 2 new ones, deleted one, and left the other one as new. Then, annoyed, I shut the phone down to get more sleep, and the phone hung on shutdown!!!!!
Talk about waking up confused!! :? That really threw off my theory about why this is happening.

Does anybody else sync their email that frequently with this phone? Could someone try and see if that's the problem?

I suppose since I went back to the same best buy only a few days later and replaced my phone it could be a bad batch of phones and I'm just dipping back into it for new ones...

If this keeps up, I'm going to return it for good -- that's unacceptable behavior from a $500 phone.

Mike Temporale
10-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Funny you should ask: I just woke up :), and I woke up because my phone vibrated and beeped saying "You've got mail" (not those words though, I'm not crazy :) ). But I had it turned off last night!!

Wait a second, You turned off the phone? Like "Off-Off", or "close the lid and put to sleep-Off"? Because I would say there is something really weird going on if your phone powers up out of the blue. Did you have any alarms set? Not that they should power up the phone to fire, or anything. :?

I wonder if your power button is sticking, or malfunctioning in some way. That might explain the hanging on shutdown and the automatic power up. Just a thought.

lurch
10-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Like "Off-Off", or "close the lid and put to sleep-Off"?

"Off-Off" -- which is why I was so surprised and confused when it beeped this morning! I didn't have any alarms set (not until about 9AM anyway). I haven't noticed any sticking on the part of the power button. And I think it turned on at about 5:30 this morning (I woke up at about 7) and here's how I can tell (this is weird too, does this happen to anybody?): When my phone is in proximity to a speaker or some monitors, it has an interesting effect when it is using GPRS (not sure about a regular phone call). Speakers, even speakers on devices that are turned off, tend to start making some funky sounds -- it disrupted a meeting I was in yesterday! And last night, a monitor I was using began flickering in a wierd way.
But anyway, I think it turned on at about 5:30 because I woke up then from hearing my clock radio make that funky sound -- which struck me as weird, but then again, it was 5:30 AM, everything sounds weird then. :)

I just had yet another thought: this could all be happening because of the curse that gypsy put on me. I didn't really make the connection, but now that I think about it, that makes much more sense!! She was standing outside of Best Buy and each time I walked out with my new phone she'd say "I curse your phone... thinner!" I'm not sure what that meant, but I guess this is it.
:roll: :lol:

lurch
10-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Oh, and I wanted to say thanks for helping Mike! :)

Mike Temporale
10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Oh, and I wanted to say thanks for helping Mike! :)

Hey, no problem. I wish I had an MPx220 so I could offer more insight. :(

I do think it's a power button issue. That's about the only way it could power up on it's own. That I can think of, anyway. :?

Beowulf
10-22-2004, 07:28 PM
I had that happen once when I tried to turn it off only after uninstalling Beta Player .04.
I have not seen it happen again, but I only use syncing for my calendar.

--Paul

ehartle
10-25-2004, 10:27 PM
I've got 2 mpx220's and they both lock up on shutdown. Almost every time. It's definitely related to application usage. If you end all tasks manually and turn off BT, there's a good chance it will shut down properly. But that's ridiculous for this phone. Actually, it's kinda amazing how poorly this phone does all the normal phone stuff and how great it does everything else. I don't know if it's a bad batch of phones but both of mine have the power problem, volume problem, and camera problem where they won't take pics at 1280x960 if BT is turned on.

Still the best phone I've ever had tho..... In a few weeks maybe I'll be irritated enough that I'll change my mind on that one

lurch
10-26-2004, 02:54 AM
I've got 2 mpx220's and they both lock up on shutdown. Almost every time.

YES! Someone else has gone through it too. :) I found it so bad I just had to return it -- but I too love the phone. I'll get it back again in December.
Thanks for posting!

Kris Kumar
10-29-2004, 04:32 PM
When my phone is in proximity to a speaker or some monitors, it has an interesting effect when it is using GPRS (not sure about a regular phone call). Speakers, even speakers on devices that are turned off, tend to start making some funky sounds -- it disrupted a meeting I was in yesterday!

First of all sorry for the late response. And I just noticed that you have returned the phone.

The above funky sound problem is common for all GPRS devices I believe. I had a Sony Ericsson T68i, then Red-E Smartphone, MPx200 did it. And now my MPx220 also does it.

The worst part is that it interferes with my car radio, if I keep the phone in an area right below the radio. If I keep it on the passenger seat or in my pocket its fine.

It happens only when it is close and really close to the other electronic device. It sounds like morse code or something similar.

Shutdown - Sorry have been using it, abusing it for a week now. No problem. The mail sync, I have been doing 30 min mail sync of 3 mail boxes, which has been stable. In fact I was amazed by the shutdown speed of the phone.

I am noticing some other weirdness that I will be posting shortly in this forum and see if someone has seen them.

dchester
11-03-2004, 03:02 AM
I've gotten this same symptom as well. What I've found is that if you leave the clamshell open when powering down, all works as it should. If you close it first and then powerdown, this is when it hangs.

Jerry Raia
11-03-2004, 07:11 AM
I get the "funky sound" also. I havent had the problem of lockup during shutdown though.

mindspin
11-11-2004, 07:01 PM
I have had the problem with it hanging too. I cannot pin-point why either. I have shut it down the following ways:

- Open
- Close
- Open while shutting down
- Close while shutting down
- With apps running
- without apps running.

It is completely eratic with no consistancy that I can find. I emailed MOTO customer support. I will report back the bogus answer I am sure to get. :D

Jerry Raia
11-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Well of course now that I have read about the hang on shutdown problem I'm starting to see it myself. It has been erratic for me as well.

Kris Kumar
11-11-2004, 08:32 PM
No shutdown issues here..3 weeks and going strong. <keepingFingersCrossed>

Jerry Raia
11-11-2004, 11:38 PM
When mine does this, the keypad stays lit. Is that what others who have this happen see?.

ehartle
11-12-2004, 01:47 AM
yeah the keypad stays lit for me on both of my 220's. Then if you close the phone and open it, then you get the cool red moto logo on the outside lcd, which looks great. See, it's not a bug but a feature.

I've emailed moto 3 times now about the various issues and they reply back to me telling me:

1. Sorry for any problems I may be experiencing with this fine product.
2. They have forwarded my message to the Product Competency Group and if they come up with a known issue, they will work on a possible solution.

So we can all rest easy that maybe they will discover what we all already know and they may possibly even fix it.

Jerry Raia
11-12-2004, 02:15 AM
Folks consider doing what I suggested <A href=http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44549>here</A>. You have to step over the tech departments to get any attention.