View Full Version : Smartphone vs. PPC Phone Edition

brothernov
10-19-2004, 05:17 PM
I currently use an Ipaq 3955 for PIM functions and to view data in excel spreadsheets. I really like Pocket Informant. I'd love to find a phone that can handle these chores as effectively as my Ipaq, so I'm guessing that I need PPC phone edition, but I really don't know what WM Smartphone's limitations are. It seems that the tiny 176x220 screen would limit the usefullness of either application. However, I'm really not gaining anything if my "super phone" doesn't fit in my pants pocket - might as well just keep my Ipaq. Is anyone aware of a resource that can help me understand if Smartphone and the little screen will be good enough? If I knew someone that had one I'd just play with it, but I don't. Also, is there anything out there or on the horizon that runs PPC phone edition and might fit in your pocket? I hate to say this, but I'm seriously considering Palm's upcoming Treo 650 (320 x 320 screen, OS5 garnet, etc.). I want to stay a windows guy, but just don't know enough to decide if Smartphone and it's tiny screen is robust enough and I don't know how to figure that out. Can anyone point me toward a "smartphone for dummys" type learning experience?

surur
10-21-2004, 04:31 PM
You need the HTC Jam ppcphone

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=476954

Very small, but a full features pocketpc and cellphone with bluetooth. Check out the howard forum thread.

Surur

Mike Temporale
10-21-2004, 04:37 PM
You need the HTC Jam ppcphone

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=476954

Very small, but a full features pocketpc and cellphone with bluetooth. Check out the howard forum thread.

Surur

Ya, it's small, but not C500 small. 8)

brothernov
10-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks for replying. That phone does look pretty good. Is it available from any US carriers? I also like Motorola's MPx, but who knows when it will ever be availble. Iv'e pretty much reached the conclusion that I need Windows mobile phone edition (or what ever it's called) as Smartphone just doesn't seem to pack the pocket PC features I require.