View Full Version : MPx220 - a newbie has questions.....

mboone
10-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Some quick newbie questions - this is my first Smartphone. First, I added the 2MB $9.99 Wireless Internet package on Cingular. Is 2 MB a lot or a little? I will be mostly synchronizing with an Exchange server, and some light web browsing. I didn't see anywhere on my Cingular account where I could get a running total of what I have used so far. Can you get this info somewhere? Should I just switch to the unlimited plan, or is 2 MB a lot?

Next question - anyone used the MPx220 as a bluetooth modem for a Pocket PC on Cingular successfully yet? I've played with it but haven't gotten anywhere.......

Finally, what happens to my "old" non-GSM phone (a Motorola v60). As of last night it still worked - does Cingular "disconnect" it or can I use it too?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.....

Mike B.

Mike Temporale
10-18-2004, 03:41 AM
Some quick newbie questions - this is my first Smartphone.

Cool. Congrats!

I added the 2MB $9.99 Wireless Internet package on Cingular. Is 2 MB a lot or a little? I will be mostly synchronizing with an Exchange server, and some light web browsing. I didn't see anywhere on my Cingular account where I could get a running total of what I have used so far. Can you get this info somewhere? Should I just switch to the unlimited plan, or is 2 MB a lot?

I'm not on Cingular, so I don't know if they have any sort of running total indicator. My guess is, they don't. There are a number of applications that will do this for you. Check out our affiliate store (http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts), and search for "GPRS Traffic". You should find a couple matches. I can't recommend anything, since I don't use one myself.

anyone used the MPx220 as a bluetooth modem for a Pocket PC on Cingular successfully yet? I've played with it but haven't gotten anywhere.......

I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet. I sure hope that someone has, or is working on solving the problem. :?

what happens to my "old" non-GSM phone (a Motorola v60). As of last night it still worked - does Cingular "disconnect" it or can I use it too?

The phone is only active because of your SIM. If you remove the SIM, it's of no good to anyone. So you can keep the phone as a backup or sell it to someone else that's on Cingular, if you want.

:D

mboone
10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
The phone is only active because of your SIM.

I don't think the v60 I have has a SIM; it is over two years old and I don't think it is a GSM phone. So I am not sure how that works.....

I'll look for the GPRS traffic software, thanks.

Mike B.

lungbutter
10-18-2004, 01:54 PM
I think your understanding is correct. Chances are your v60 is a TDMA phone which is incompatible with the GSM network. Cingular is/will be offering different deals/phones to users of TDMA phones to get them onto the GSM network over the next year or so. My family also had TDMA phones and I'm waiting for a sweet deal from Cingular to move them over to the GSM side.

You can still always try Ebay if the phone is in good shape. Ya never know. :wink:

Mike Temporale
10-18-2004, 01:58 PM
I think your understanding is correct. Chances are your v60 is a TDMA phone which is incompatible with the GSM network.

Ah, so Cingular used to be TDMA. I did not know this. How long ago did they convert to GSM?

lungbutter
10-18-2004, 06:45 PM
They have been building up the GSM network for a couple of years I think with focus on the 800 band around larger cities. I was watching the rollout around Philly for a while.

They still do TDMA coverage but have been working to get everyone over to the GSM network. I have received two "special offers" specifically for the two phone numbers that we have that are still TDMA phones. I'm going to wait it out until the merger gets real close.

lurch
10-19-2004, 05:48 AM
First, I added the 2MB $9.99 Wireless Internet package on Cingular. Is 2 MB a lot or a little? I will be mostly synchronizing with an Exchange server, and some light web browsing.

Mike-

You have peaked my interest!! I've been curious about Cingular's data plans for a while now, but unwilling to purchase it and test it out. Were you able to sync with your exchange server on the wireless internet package? Did you have to use an SSL connection to do so?

Please tell me! :) Now that I have my MPx220 (my first smartphone too) I don't want to have to carry around my phone and blackberry all the time.
THANKS!

Jerry Raia
10-19-2004, 09:37 AM
I have the 19.95 unlimited internet package. I sync with my exchange server using that package. You dont need GPRS to get to an exchange server it seems.

Myke
10-19-2004, 10:52 AM
2 MB is nothing. youll use that in no time.

for $10 more you get unlimited internet, 1500 text messages and 50 mms a month. its a great deal. ive found the 2003 version of IE is VASTLY improved over 2002 and many sites work fantastically on the small screen (it actually breaks apart tables and stacks them vertically so you dont have to scroll to the side, before it would just try to squish tables which didnt work).

yay!

lurch
10-19-2004, 04:21 PM
I have the 19.95 unlimited internet package. I sync with my exchange server using that package. You dont need GPRS to get to an exchange server it seems.
Awesome! But please tell me, do you sync with your exchange server via SSL? I was under the impression that that wasn't possible with cingular. If it is, then I'm practically in heaven. :)

Jerry Raia
10-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Awesome! But please tell me, do you sync with your exchange server via SSL? I was under the impression that that wasn't possible with cingular. If it is, then I'm practically in heaven. :)

I just looked at my settings, the little box "This server uses an SSL connection" is checked :D

PS, Say hello to ST Peter for me. 8)

lurch
10-19-2004, 06:11 PM
I just looked at my settings, the little box "This server uses an SSL connection" is checked :D

PS, Say hello to ST Peter for me. 8)

Sweet!!! My feelings of elation are tempered by my frustration with the ignorant support folks at Cingular.

So what should I tell them in Heaven? "See all that stuff written about lasher, would you mind just looking the other way?" :wink:

Thanks a ton for the confirmation.

Jerry Raia
10-19-2004, 06:32 PM
:rotfl:

mboone
10-20-2004, 02:05 AM
Yes Exchange ActiveSync works just fine with the Cingular data plan. And I've been very pleased with Pocket IE on the phone - the pages are very readable.

Thanks for the advice on the data plan. I called and switched to the unlimited plan. Having the Internet in your pocket is addictive.... I am sure I've used up 2MB and more in the couple days I've had it! Thanks for all the advice.

Mike B.

lurch
10-20-2004, 04:24 AM
I signed up for unlimited today too. It is so addictive, you're right!

Jerry Raia
10-20-2004, 05:49 AM
I use it for everything, email, MSN messenger, I get weather radar images when i need them. I hardly talk on it though :lol:

me
10-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Finally, what happens to my "old" non-GSM phone (a Motorola v60). As of last night it still worked - does Cingular "disconnect" it or can I use it too?

Mike B.

Are you sure the v60 is "non-GSM"? Isn't Cingular an all-GSM network?

If it is GSM, there is no connecting or disconnecting of the phone. It is the SIM card that is "connected". You must have switched that to the mpx220, or they did it for you in the store. I'd suggest then you keep the v60, in case you have a problem with the mpx220. Then you could switch the SIM card back to the v60, and it will work.

By the way, considering the posts about volume problems on the mpx220, how do you find the volume on the mpx220 (both incoming and outgoing) in comparison with the v60?

mboone
10-23-2004, 03:38 AM
Are you sure the v60 is "non-GSM"? Isn't Cingular an all-GSM network?

I'm not 100% sure but if there's a SIM card in it, I can't find it. I took the battery off looking for one but didn't see one anywhere.

By the way, considering the posts about volume problems on the mpx220, how do you find the volume on the mpx220 (both incoming and outgoing) in comparison with the v60?

OK, at risk of sounding like an idiot, there are two very silly sounding things that I believe may be contributing to the volume complaints about the mpx220. First, there is a very transparent plastic protective covering over the ear speaker when the phone is shipped. You'd think you'd notice it, but it is cut perfectly to the size of the ear speaker. It's something that I'm sure most users would NEVER notice. Had I not read about it on another post and looked for it, I would have not known it were there either.

Second, the actual speaker must be VERY small. I noticed that sometimes I could hear fine and other times I could barely hear the person. What I figured out is that you have to move the phone around a bit to make sure the ear speaker is right into your ear. If you move it a half an inch, it seems like the volume drops 50%. The variation in volume was because I was holding it in slightly different positions.

With that said the volume, in my opinion, is adequate but certainly not loud. If you use the phone a lot in noisy places or have poor hearing you may have problems, but for me it's not a problem. Overall I really like the mpx220. As far as outgoing, I've had no complaints, and the first time I called home with it my wife thought I was on a "land line" phone - said it sounded fine.

Mike B.