View Full Version : MPx220 May Be Exclusive To Best Buy

Mike Temporale
10-07-2004, 10:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mpx200.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2266&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0' target='_blank'>http://www.mpx200.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2266&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A deal has been struck between the carriers and the manufacturers for an exclusive launch of the MPx220 through Best Buy (locked to the Cingular network). That's right, this is a retailer exclusive launch. No one else (even if they have it) will be able to advertise that they have the MPx220, not even Cingular itself."</i><br /><br />The good news is that the exclusive deal kicks off sometime between the 15th and the 17th of October. Of course, the down side is if you want a MPx220, you're stuck with Cingular until the middle of November. :( There is no confirmation on this from Cingular or Best Buy. So at this time, we have to treat this as a rumor. With that being said, I can't wait until next week to see this phone hit the shelves, exclusive deal or not!

Bushrod
10-07-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm not trying to question the truthfulness of this rumor, but I just received an email from the Motorola Shop saying the MPx220 is coming soon to AT&T. The kicker is that the first 1000 people to buy and register their 220 get a free Bluetooth headset. This offer ends October 29. Hmmm, buy a 220 on AT&T and register it by October 29.

kagayaki1
10-07-2004, 03:42 PM
I have read extensively on the AT&T situation with the interesting rebate date, but that aside, I wanted to pitch in about the Best Buy thing.

I was at Best Buy in Tukwila, WA last night, and the manager of the phone department said Oct. 15 was the launch, and that his internal memos said BB was going to be the only ones to carry it. I asked about Cingular stores, and he said even they would not have it for 30 days.

Sounds like it might be true. And I found all this out *before* I saw this post this morning.

lurch
10-07-2004, 03:47 PM
I'm not trying to question the truthfulness of this rumor, but I just received an email from the Motorola Shop saying the MPx220 is coming soon to AT&T. The kicker is that the first 1000 people to buy and register their 220 get a free Bluetooth headset. This offer ends October 29. Hmmm, buy a 220 on AT&T and register it by October 29.
I don't know if it means anything, but a while back I signed up for the email alert when the 220 is available, and it said then that the first 1000 people to register would get the headset... and it had nothing to do with AT&T at that time. So it almost seems like now an agreement has been made with AT&T and their logo is being included, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee it will be available?
I dunno.

Fitch
10-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Noooooooooooooo!!! DAMN YOU CINGULAR!!!!

Seriously. I hate Cingular customer service. Sprint has been great to me, but Cingular has trianed their CSRs to be stubborn and repetative, never offering to cede with the customer. It's worth not getting the headset to not switch to Cingular.

And yet how shall I get my WM2003 phone?!?

ale_ers
10-07-2004, 07:37 PM
I don't know if it means anything, but a while back I signed up for the email alert when the 220 is available, and it said then that the first 1000 people to register would get the headset... and it had nothing to do with AT&T at that time. So it almost seems like now an agreement has been made with AT&T and their logo is being included, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee it will be available?
I dunno.

I signed up for the same thing. Actually it did mention AT&T in small print in two places. I only noticed because I was lookiing for it. I got my email saying that it is "coming soon" When ever that is. I think that it will be available on online and in AT&T stores around the 18th.

Mike Temporale
10-07-2004, 07:44 PM

Good point... We posted about that back here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6383). Things are really starting to get confusing. :? I think I'm on the side of this new information being untrue.

lurch
10-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Good point... We posted about that back here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6383). Things are really starting to get confusing. :? I think I'm on the side of this new information being untrue.

What we really need is for someone who works at Best Buy to look up the SKU that was listed on the linked page (from the original post). That could at least help verify some validity.

It's times like this that I wish I had a side-job at BB.. :)

sn1p3t
10-07-2004, 09:30 PM
I hope this isn't true, because the nearest BB is 100 miles from here :(

Mike Temporale
10-07-2004, 10:16 PM

Wait a sec. I just re-read this, and I think this exclusive offer would fit into the Best Buy report we had earlier. The info we recieved was that Best Buy had them in stock and are starting to train their staff on the device. This exclusive deal would just be on top of that. I think it's totaly possible that BB has set something like this up.

motnews
10-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Best Buy launching MPx220 Tuesday, Oct 12. That's all I'm gonna say.

Kris Kumar
10-07-2004, 11:17 PM
If Moto does not launch the phone early next week, I might order the SP3i. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42266) Tired of waiting. Plus once the phone comes out, it will be locked to Cingular/AT&T. :-( SP3i is looking like a better deal.

kagayaki1
10-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Noooooooooooooo!!! DAMN YOU CINGULAR!!!!

Seriously. I hate Cingular customer service. Sprint has been great to me, but Cingular has trianed their CSRs to be stubborn and repetative, never offering to cede with the customer. It's worth not getting the headset to not switch to Cingular.

And yet how shall I get my WM2003 phone?!?

Not by being a Sprint customer, that's for sure. Spring and Verizon, the non-GSM companies, have a long history of being late comers to any Windows-based mobile devices. If you don't like Cingular, try something else.

PPCMD
10-08-2004, 12:07 AM
I had the I600 from Verizon and I sent it back. The cost difference between the I600 and MPX220 is $250 and with that ladies and gents if I get past the 15 day (or 30 day) return mark I could still afford the cancelation and come out ahead.

I am keeping my Vzw V710 BT phone and adding Cingular, so I have the best of all worlds and coverage. I checked the BB in my area no friggin clue or brains at all and got them to print out the RSS page info. No stores anywhere list stock at all and none appear in transit either. Now this could be intentional but if the launch date is next week they better get stock between now and then.

Mike Temporale
10-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Best Buy launching MPx220 Tuesday, Oct 12. That's all I'm gonna say.

Say no more. :wink: If it doesn't, I'll be looking for ya. :lol:

motnews
10-08-2004, 03:25 AM
If Moto does not launch the phone early next week, I might order the SP3i. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42266) Tired of waiting. Plus once the phone comes out, it will be locked to Cingular/AT&amp;T. :-( SP3i is looking like a better deal.

Current Cingular phones are unlocked.

Kris Kumar
10-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Current Cingular phones are unlocked.

Please..Please..let this be true and also that it is launching on the coming Tuesday. :turn-l:

jkovacs
10-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Could it be that BB has the exclusive on the "Cingular branded" MPx220 only. This would explain the Motorola email and the headset offer deadline as well as the BB rumor.

...Joe K.