View Full Version : Syncing with a Pocket PC + Car Charging

carphead
10-02-2004, 10:27 PM
I've been a long time user of IPAQ's. I'd consider myself a high end user of Pocket PC. So I figured when my Orange contract had end I'd buy a C500. That day was today :)

So my first question is....Is there a way to sync the two devices (c500 and IPAQ) directly without using Activesync?

My second question is does the cable supplied also charge using a USB Car charger? I've tried with my normal USB Charger which works fine with my IPAQ and it didn't charge? Do I need to buy one of the Boxwave things?

Thanks,
Daniel

Mike Temporale
10-03-2004, 12:31 PM
You're looking to sync the c500 with the ipaq? I don't think that can be done. You can have both devices sync with the same desktop or exchange server, but not with each other.

I'm not sure about the cables that come with it. I haven't heard much about them. Personally, I prefer the retractable cables, and usually replace the ones that come with a device with something from Boxwave or PPCtechs.

Kris Kumar
10-04-2004, 01:22 AM
My second question is does the cable supplied also charge using a USB Car charger?

I use the USB Charger in my car to charge my Smartphone (MPx200). The C500 is charged using a USB cable, so the USB charger would work fine with it.

Not sure about the iPaq. iPaq's need special USB cable or the ones that come with the iPaq itself for charging. Smartphones work with regular mini-USB cable.

carphead
10-11-2004, 10:37 AM
So I managed to completely confuse everyone with my first two questions :)

1 - I wanted to know if there was a way to keep a IPAQ and the C500 in sync with out using Activesync (as I spend quite a while away from my desktop/laptop). - I guess not.

2 - Where to buy a car charger.

The C500 won't work with a standard USB Car Charger. I know I've tried. Over at modaco there's a number of discussions about this problem. It appears that the standard mains charger isn't just a 5v USB output but the several of the pins in the lead are actually tied together.

Boxwave say's that thier sync n charge cable will work so I ended up ordering one from them and "Hopefully" it will work.

Thanks for your help guys. ;)

Regards,
Daniel

coaldat6
10-12-2004, 05:46 AM
1 - I wanted to know if there was a way to keep a IPAQ and the C500 in sync with out using Activesync (as I spend quite a while away from my desktop/laptop). - I guess not.

All I can tell you is that it is possible, but it depends on your service provider. I know that Verizon offers something called "Wireless Sync" and as long as your computer is connected to the internet, you can sync up from anywhere (for an extra $20/month I think). Contact your service provider and see if they offer anything along those lines.