View Full Version : Motorola And AT&T Are Getting Set To Launch The MPx220

Mike Temporale
09-30-2004, 04:20 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://promo.motorola.com/pb03/landingpage_flash.html' target='_blank'>http://promo.motorola.com/pb03/landingpage_flash.html</a><br /><br /></div>It looks like this device will finally see the light of day! This <a href="http://promo.motorola.com/pb03/landingpage_flash.html">linked page</a> clearly shows that AT&T will be the carrier of this beauty. They are also going to be offering <a href="https://secure.indigoproductions.com/motorola/MPx220/mpx220_reg.html">a free Motorola Bluetooth hands-free headset</a> to the first 1000 people to register their MPx220's. Also, if you click on the <a href="https://secure.indigoproductions.com/motorola/MPx220/MPx220_Offers.html">offer details</a> link, you might notice that this offer expires on October 29th. 8O I think we're going to see this phone very soon. :clap:

bdegroodt
09-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Call me out of the loop--because I am--but, what's the big deal about this phone relative to the other ones currently available (say, the i600 for instance)? I'm really looking hard at the i600 (to the extent that I can, they seem to be pretty damn hard to find in a Verizon store), but I'm replacing a BlackBerry and am afraid of potential disaster.

Ben
09-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Call me out of the loop--because I am--but, what's the big deal about this phone relative to the other ones currently available (say, the i600 for instance)? I'm really looking hard at the i600 (to the extent that I can, they seem to be pretty damn hard to find in a Verizon store), but I'm replacing a BlackBerry and am afraid of potential disaster.

I think the mpx220 has several advantages to the i600, including the second edition of the WM2003 OS, bluetooth, a digital camera, quad band GSM, and so forth. Also, Motorola was supposed to have licenced RIM's blackberry push technology for use on both the Mpx and the Mpx220. So this phone should be a better replacement for your blackberry than an i600 would be.

I'm excited that the mpx220 will be available in late October and Halo 2 will be available in early November, and then I can die a happy man sometime in December (or go on to live another 80 years and enjoy my new phone and game for a little while . . . )

Mike Temporale
09-30-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm excited that the mpx220 will be available in late October and Halo 2 will be available in early November, and then I can die a happy man sometime in December (or go on to live another 80 years and enjoy my new phone and game for a little while . . . )

Not late October. The free headset thing ends in late October. So they have to be available at least 2 weeks prior to that.

As for Halo 2, I'm pretty excited about it too, but I'm not going to line up at the store for 12:01am purchase. A bunch of stores around here are already taking pre-orders and plan to open at midnight. That's one thing I never understood...

Kris Kumar
09-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Wasn't TIM the Brazilian carrier supposed to launch this device first or about now?

Ben
09-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Not late October. The free headset thing ends in late October. So they have to be available at least 2 weeks prior to that.

Why does it have to be 2 weeks before the end of the promotion? Can't it be a 2 day promotion? How long will it take to sell 1,000 mpx220s?

As for Halo 2, I'm pretty excited about it too, but I'm not going to line up at the store for 12:01am purchase. A bunch of stores around here are already taking pre-orders and plan to open at midnight. That's one thing I never understood...

I have never even pre-ordered games in the past, because you can always buy them the first day anyway. No game has lived up to the hype enough to warrant a pre-order or a 12:01 pick-up . . . that is until now. I honestly think Halo 2 will be that good. Not only have I already pre-ordered it, but I have already paid in full. I have a group of friends from back in law school who have now played the original Halo for at least 10 hours every week for the last 2+ years. Halo 2 will be great, and to be able to play on-line right at midnight will be awesome. I plan to take at least a day or two off from work, too . . . :)

lurch
09-30-2004, 11:38 PM
For the record, I remember signing up a bunch of weeks ago on Motorola's site for an email blast when the MPx220 is available, and it also had a promo for X amount of free bluetooth headsets. But there was nothing about AT&T on there!

So does this mean it's a no-go with Cingular? Or is that just much more hush-hush?

lurch
10-01-2004, 01:11 PM
And I see the newest frontpage post aleviates my fears. :) Thank you!

Mike Temporale
10-01-2004, 01:21 PM
And I see the newest frontpage post aleviates my fears. :) Thank you!

Your Welcome. :wink: :D

white skinned
10-29-2004, 05:40 AM
why would at&t be getting this phone or any other phone for that matter when there no longer a living company in a sence.. the merger has completed there werking there way into getting at&t people top get cingular phones and plans. why would at&t be getting this

Kris Kumar
10-29-2004, 06:56 AM
why would at&t be getting this phone or any other phone for that matter when there no longer a living company in a sence.. the merger has completed there werking there way into getting at&t people top get cingular phones and plans. why would at&t be getting this

I am guessing because they signed the contract with Motorola to purchase X number of phones, long long time ago. And now they have to honor the contract.

I was at the AT&T store today (to compare my MPx220 with SMT5600) and from what I heard there, the stores may get the MPx220s soon, very soon. :-)