View Full Version : MGN: Rumors About New Smartphones Coming To The US

Mike Temporale
09-27-2004, 02:25 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mpx200.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2213' target='_blank'>http://www.mpx200.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2213</a><br /><br /></div>MGN is reporting that T-Mobile may be releasing the Voq Smartphone "soon". :wink: This is great news, but a little disappointing at the same time. I was kind of expecting the SDA or SDA-Music to be the next phone from T-Mobile US. :( <br /><br />MGN is also reporting that AT&T is set to release 2 new Smartphones "soon". The 2 phones in question would be the Audiovox SMT5600 and the MPx220, in that order. I think this is the news that everyone has been waiting to hear. Lets all cross our fingers and hope this is true! :wink:

Kris Kumar
09-27-2004, 04:19 PM
More rumors..more wait...more sleepless nights. :-(

rkdiddy
09-28-2004, 04:56 AM
Does anyone have an idea of the release date for the Audiovox 5600?

Mike Temporale
09-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Does anyone have an idea of the release date for the Audiovox 5600?

All the rumor indicates is "soon" and since there is no official announcement on this device, "soon" is the best answer we have. :)

rkdiddy
09-28-2004, 07:42 PM
It is funny how tight-lipped the phone companies are on release dates. You would think there would be at least one person that is "in the know" that would share this information with us.

I can't wait!

Mike Temporale
09-28-2004, 07:51 PM
What makes it worse is that Motorola has been running around promoting the MPx220 since March. Both the 220 and the MPx where premier devices at the MDC Launch event. Microsoft stood there showing of the 220 running it's brand new OS - WM2003SE. And now Orange has beat Motorola to market and most likely stolen away a large number of customers. Sad really.

rkdiddy
09-28-2004, 08:26 PM
I agree. Very bad move on Motorola's part. Seems like they will be second in line with a inferior product. I'm not a Motorola hater but sometimes it seems like they rely on their name more than product quality. Doesn't make much sense.

If Audiovox was smart they would get crackin and get the 5600 out and steal majority of Motorola's market share. That and they would make me a happy man! :D

aristoBrat
09-28-2004, 09:50 PM
OK, I'm going to go crazy (as in carnival freak crazy) if T-Mobile US releases the !#$% VOQ and not the SDA lines.... :2gunfire: j/k :D

me
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Well, I'm still mad at T-Mobile USA (my carrier) for not releasing the Motorola MPX220 and MPX, as I believe they were originally planning to do. (I think I read about that here, and they later changed their mind.) I'm thinking of getting a smartphone, and prefer clamshell design.

What is this VOQ smartphone like, that the article says may be released by T-Mobile USA? Are there reviews of it here? Why are people unhappy if it will be this instead of the SDA? Not as good a phone as the SDA? Or could it be that they will release both?

ATTW sure seems to get more smartphones, and more newer phone designs in general.

me
09-29-2004, 09:56 PM
What is this VOQ smartphone like, that the article says may be released by T-Mobile USA?

After writing the above, I did some research on the VOQ here. Some nice things about it, especially the QWERTY keyboard, like the mpx. However, one deal-breaking drawback for me--No Bluetooth! I'm surprised that anyone still makes smartphones without Bluetooth.

I definitely want Bluetooth in my next phone, to be able to communicate with my IPAQ 2210 Pocket PC. (Although smartphones have a lot of the capability of the PPC, they don't have all of it, and the PPC has a larger screen. I might want to connect to the Internet with the IPAQ, connected using the phone as a modem via Bluetooth.) (Also possible with a cable--but a hassle, at least with my present v60.)

In looking for VOQ info, I came upon another new smartphone that was supposed to come out, the Samsung SGH-i250, which is in clamshell design and has Bluetooth! So the MPX220 will not be the only clamshell smartphone with Bluetooth, great! But---a post about it was dated June 27. Has it ever actually come out--anywhere? Any plans announced for it to come out in the USA? (Great if it would come out soon--on T-Mobile USA!)

Kris Kumar
09-30-2004, 02:57 AM
What is this VOQ smartphone like, that the article says may be released by T-Mobile USA?

As the only Smartphone with a built in keyboard, Voq stands out. But the same fold out keyboard makes the device bulky. Its not heavy, but it is not something that can be carried in your pocket or your belt for that matter. If your looking for something that is portable, its size is a big tradeoff that you will have to make.

I hope that the next generation of the Voq will be lot sleeker, just like SPV C500 managed to trim down from the SPV E100/E200. :-)

rkdiddy
09-30-2004, 05:09 AM
I agree the VOQ needs to go on a diet.

Someone over in the HowardsForum posted this regarding the Audiovox 5600:

"The phone will be aveliable from ATTWS on October 29th 2004...for 299.99 with 2 year activation"

Could this be true??? :)

Mike Temporale
09-30-2004, 11:24 AM
I agree the VOQ needs to go on a diet.

Someone over in the HowardsForum posted this regarding the Audiovox 5600:

"The phone will be aveliable from ATTWS on October 29th 2004...for 299.99 with 2 year activation"

Could this be true??? :)

Sounds reasonable. I was kind of hoping for Oct 1st or 4th as the release date. I'm sick of waiting. :( :wink:

rkdiddy
09-30-2004, 04:05 PM
I hear you bro. If only HTC would have made this phone quad band...we could have just purchased a sim unlocked Orange phone. :D

The only thing about my previous post is, it contradicts the post that says the Audiovox will be out BEFORE the Mpx220. I have heard from another forum that the Mpx220 will be on sale around 10/12. :?

I wish they would just tell us the release dates...life would be so much easier!

aristoBrat
09-30-2004, 05:32 PM
After playing for an hour with the new BlackBerry 7100t, my feeling is that Windows Mobile had better get something in the US market QUICKLY, or they're going to get trounced. This device is simply amazing, and that's coming from someone who truly loves Windows Mobile!

Mike Temporale
09-30-2004, 05:52 PM
After playing for an hour with the new BlackBerry 7100t, my feeling is that Windows Mobile had better get something in the US market QUICKLY, or they're going to get trounced. This device is simply amazing, and that's coming from someone who truly loves Windows Mobile!

Is this (http://www.SmartphoneThoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6383&highlight=) soon enough? :wink:

Oh, and which model is the 7100t? Is that the one with the new slimmer keyboard?

aristoBrat
09-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Yeah, it's the one with the slimmer keyboard/BlueTooth for headsets for now, modem in future/quad band/$199 after rebate.

Still larger than the C500/SDA, but if you've ever seen an older BlackBerry, this one is only as wide as the screen of the older units.

IMO, T-Mobile US is going to have a hard time selling Windows Mobile devices for much more than $199 now.