View Full Version : WiFi Enabled Smartphones By Year End?

Mike Temporale
09-23-2004, 02:18 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.computex.biz/roundup_archive_detail.asp?index=20040922&items=4' target='_blank'>http://www.computex.biz/roundup_archive_detail.asp?index=20040922&items=4</a><br /><br /></div>Could it be? Are the dual mode phones that close to release?<br /><br /><i>"With rich experience in producing mobile phones, the world's first dual-mode mobile phone will be produced before end of the year by Taiwanese mobile phone makers, according to Peter Wu, a newly established Wireless LAN Exchange Association (WLANEA). Wu, who is also serves as vice president of Acer Inc. said: "Using the phone, Web surfers will be able to be connected to the Internet through their mobile operator's GPRS services on the run. When arriving at a hot spot, they can switch to lower-priced WLAN services to browse Web pages or access e-mails on bandwidths of 2 megabits or 8 megabits." Both BenQ and Mitac International Corp. are in the final testing stage to launch their first models by the end of the year"</i><br /><br />I'm not sure about BenQ, but I know that Mitac builds develops phones and PDA's based on Microsoft's Windows Mobile platform. That doesn't mean that this upcoming model will be based on Windows Mobile, but I think there is a pretty good chance that it will. We've talked about WiFi in our phones before. It's one of those things that the Smartphone camp are waiting on the edge of their seats for. :D

Kris Kumar
09-23-2004, 02:37 PM
I am surprised that SysChip/SanDisk/Socket have not made any formal announcements for SD WLAN card drivers for the Smartphones. :roll:

Isn't it a safe assumption that porting a Pocket PC driver onto Smartphone is fairly easy? Does anyone know about the level of effort required? I am guessing it is as easy as packaging a new CAB file. And of course testing.

Surprised that it has been two years and we don't have WLAN card drivers for the Smartphones.