View Full Version : Rabid Fans - Is This Us?

Jason Dunn
09-03-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.forbes.com/global/2001/0416/072_print.html' target='_blank'>http://www.forbes.com/global/2001/0416/072_print.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Every company wants a hot product in the hands of ecstatic consumers who spread the gospel. But watch out for that lunatic fringe. The sun beams down on a tiny glen in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains-a radiant afternoon for an outdoor wedding. A light breeze stirs as the Reverend James S. Massie Jr. looks out over 250 love-struck people assembled for a mass ceremony. After reading the vows, Massie, an Episcopal priest, takes a deep breath and leans toward the microphone: "By the power vested in me, I pronounce you-car and driver." Strange, but true. A bunch of people have just married their Mazda Miatas. These people live for the $21,000 roadster, and Massie eggs them on..."</i><br /><br />While I hope none of us have been married to our Smartphones, this article is an interesting look at how passionate people can be about things that they like, and the ups and downs of that.

Mike Temporale
09-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Great article. The one element that they left out, is when people become that passionate, they tend to get stuck with the thought that this product, item, or whatever is the only good viable item out there. These people can get really defensive at the suggestion of another item. I think that can really end up hurting the brand too.

To a certian extent, I think any early adapter falls into this category. Just watch out how far you fall. :wink:

Kris Kumar
09-04-2004, 03:49 AM
Though I am not possessive about any gadget or device that I own. How ever I am obsessed about applying technology in every aspect of my life. Which sometimes (often when I am relying heavily on it without backup) backfires.

E.g.

Lets say I am going on a trip, I am not carrying paper maps or printouts of the route. And guess what...my GPS system would fail to recognize the destination address :-)

Or when I am traveling. Badly need to check my E-Mail or connect to the internet, my Smartphone would not connect. Most often because I am out of coverage or in a roaming area. Or because something crazy is going on with the GPRS.

TANKERx
09-05-2004, 02:58 PM
I think that gadgets are great, but once we come to rely on the technology and spend every waking moment thinking and dreaming about it, then it is my opinion that technology has become our master, we it's servant and our humanity is lost.

Kris Kumar
09-05-2004, 04:31 PM
I think that gadgets are great, but once we come to rely on the technology and spend every waking moment thinking and dreaming about it, then it is my opinion that technology has become our master, we it's servant and humanity is lost.

My reply censored by my master.

:lol: