View Full Version : Motorola MPx220 To Be Available From TIM In Brazil

Mike Temporale
09-01-2004, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3287' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3287</a><br /><br /></div><i>"TIM (Telecom Italia), Motorola e Microsoft came together to announce the Motorola MPx220, running Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Smartphone. The new Smartphone will be available to TIM users in around 1.700 Brazilian cities where the GSM/GPRS is available. With this announcement, TIM claims to be the first mobile operator to make the new mobile phone available to the public. The MPx220 is expected to available from September 2004, through TIM retail stores and corporate business customers. Expected price is R$2600 (US$890). Microsoft believes the launch of Motorola's MPx220 in Latin America will help creating new business for local developers. TIM is already working to make a Developer Kit, consisting of a MPx220 plus SDK, support and data services available for developers. For this product launch, around 20 companies are working to have some new services available. For example TIM News will aggregate news content from Folha de Sao Paulo, Abril and O Globo, plus entertainment guide, all accessible over GPRS. Visa is also working to create payment services that would allow users to buy products and services and pay via mobile phone. "</i><br /><br />This makes me wonder; Is Motorola working at co-ordinating a world wide launch of the MPx220? Could they be trying to make the MPx220 available all over the world at the same time?!

possmann
09-01-2004, 06:18 PM
I wish we had the jawdrop emoticon here - Did anyone else do that when they saw the PRICE?!? ($890)

Please tell me that they are not going to do that here... (be that expensive in the US)

freitasm
09-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Don't worry... Brazilian prices are heavily inflated by VAT-style taxes, import taxes and other fees. Things are in generalway more expensive there than in the US. :x