View Full Version : Verizon Disables Bluetooth on Motorola Phone to Prevent "Hijacking"

Jason Dunn
08-29-2004, 08:49 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639784,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639784,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>The V710 isn't a Smartphone, so I don't care much about it :lol:, but this part of the review caught my attention:<br /><br /><i>"The other highlight feature is Bluetooth. If Bluetooth to you means headsets, you're set. The V710's Bluetooth also works as a modem for your laptop. But Verizon disabled the phone's Bluetooth file-transfer function, so you can't wirelessly transfer photos to your PC without using the carrier's for-pay Pix Messaging service. Verizon also disabled the built-in Bluetooth Serial Port function, so you have to buy a $39.99 USB cable to sync the phone with your PC. With the USB cable, we synced our calendar and address book with Microsoft Outlook easily. But even with the USB cable, you can't get photos off the phone or transfer files between the phone and your PC. Verizon says that crippling Bluetooth implementation is a "fraud prevention" tactic to prevent strangers from sending unsolicited text messages to your phone. Whatever." </i><br /><br />Can you believe the audacity of Verizon? How stupid do they think people are? :roll:

Kevin Daly
08-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Well, since they managed in the first place to convince millions of people that they absolutely had to have the ability to send low-quality photos to their friends at ridiculous expense, they probably think people are pretty stupid :wink:

Seriously though, this looks like another gem from the great minds in the carrier industry who brought us WAP Made Completely Useless.

Mike Temporale
08-29-2004, 11:35 AM
I hope they don't pull this crap with that new HTC VIVIDA phone. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6162&highlight=) :evil: That would really suck.

Jerry Raia
08-29-2004, 03:24 PM
The only way to change these things is for people to leave Verizon.

Janak Parekh
08-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Not always an easy choice. Verizon's service is just so much better than everything else in my little circles...

If the V710 offered full BT services, I'd probably have bought it already. :|

--janak

Ed Hansberry
08-29-2004, 11:32 PM
I'll say it again. T-Mobile ROCKS!!! :-)

In general though, I still hate cellular companies.

aristoBrat
08-30-2004, 05:05 AM
What doesn't it offer that you're looking for?

mvv_hyd
08-30-2004, 02:45 PM
browsing this topic made me register to share what my friend told me who is working in samsung making cell phones specially customized for verizon that verizon doesn't want bluetooth at all in their cell phones. But, seeing peoply using bt so much these days, they let the manufactures add BT but only basic profiles like headset.... not the file sharing thing..... they want people to use their MMS service to transfer data from their cell phones to computers.. they don't want to loose money here... so, any piece with BT you are buying for verizon...... assume that there will not be any file sharing profile......

Jerry Raia
08-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Not always an easy choice. Verizon's service is just so much better than everything else in my little circles...

--janak

Difficult yes, but the only thing they will hear. The worry free guarantee doesnt seem to be working :)

I think Cingular is a good alternative and once the merger with ATT is complete I dont think Verizon will be top dog.

Lets not forget Verizon was once GTE, the worst phone company on earth.

DaleReeck
08-30-2004, 05:21 PM
I own the V710 as well as an iPaq 6315 on T-Mobile. While GSM providers have always had the most cutting edge hardware, Verizon's service, especially building penetration, has been the best in my area. While the V710's BT implementation is weakened, the phone is too good to ignore IMO. Analog support, 1.2MP camera, memory slot, "sticky" speakerphone (the speakerphone stays enabled always, even between calls unless you shut it off or select the option to disable itself after a call), nice big color screen, good external display and a very sweet voice dial implementation. Not that crappy kind where you have to voice train it and only get 15-20 slots. It's Fonix's Voice Dial (I think) where no training is required, covers you entire phone book and allows for individual digit dial and redial commands.

And the Bluetooth stuff that isn't diabled - headset and modem - work great. The BT headset is as good an implementation as Sony Ericsson's - which was one of the best. Of course, there are some bugs (it's Motorola after all) but I think this is the best, full featured non-PDA phone on the market.

Jerry Raia
08-30-2004, 05:28 PM
MPx220. Thats all I have to say. I dont think Verizon will be offing it 8)

aristoBrat
08-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Dale, that phone does sound nice!

Kris Kumar
08-31-2004, 05:03 AM
I guess Verizon is pretty good at crippling technology for the sake of making quick $$$. I hope they realize that soon this will start turning people away them and Verizon would be left saying "Can you hear me now?"

It seems Verizon doesn't like R-UIM (Removable User Identification) cards. According to rbrome in this thread. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=41093) Verizon has a phone with this technology, but chose to disable it. And I am guessing they will do the same for the HTC Vivida too. Not to forget cripple the BT on the Vivida :-(

mvv_hyd
08-31-2004, 03:19 PM
I guess Verizon is pretty good at crippling technology for the sake of making quick $$$. I hope they realize that soon this will start turning people away them and Verizon would be left saying "Can you hear me now?"

It seems Verizon doesn't like R-UIM (Removable User Identification) cards. According to rbrome in this thread. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=41093) Verizon has a phone with this technology, but chose to disable it. And I am guessing they will do the same for the HTC Vivida too. Not to forget cripple the BT on the Vivida :-(

They would definitely do that.... the only advantage they are having (arrogantly..) is customer base and the coverage....... that's why they don't want to bend.....