View Full Version : Windows XP Service Pack 2 Has Shipped!

David McNamee
08-08-2004, 03:44 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/' target='_blank'>http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/</a><br /><br /></div>Microsoft has released Windows XP Service Pack 2 to manufacturing. It is currently available to MSDN subscribers for download. General download availability should come sometime next week. CDs will be available to order in the event you don't want to deal with the Internet traffic jam this download will surely cause.<br /><br />The service pack features a number of security enhancements, including a stronger firewall than the one currently in Windows XP. It will also be on by default. Service Pack 2 will also have improved Wi-Fi and Bluetooth stacks, and a number of new features for Tablet PC and Media Center users.<br /><br />I'm pulling down the update now. I never got around to testing the betas or release candidates with ActiveSync, so I'll let you know how it goes over the next few days. That is about the only thing I can think of that could impact Smartphone and Pocket PC users. While we are waiting for the release to be widely available, now would be a great time to formulate your backup strategy if you don't have one. Microsoft went to great lengths to make sure that nothing would go wrong during the upgrade, but we computing enthusiasts are all too familiar with Murphy's law. Be sure to back up important documents, your e-mail if it is kept locally, and export the settings from any application that would be a pain to set up again in the event of something bad happening (like IE favorites, or MS Money settings).<br /><br />I'm really looking forward to this service pack being widely distributed. Hopefully, it will help to ease the quantity of security issues we deal with each day.

coffeeFreak
08-08-2004, 07:01 AM
I took my risk, downloaded and install the SP this morning. I installed it on my new Tablet PC (Toshiba M200) I have to say this is a very welcomed update/upgrade for TPC user! :D

My installation went smoothly. The new security center didn't like my Norton antivirus 2004. So it pops up warning message every time I boot up. I guess I have to wait until Symantec update Norton AV to be liked by this patch. It works though.

One problem I did run into was that the first boot up after install, my Wifi didn't work. (It's a secure Wifi ) I didn't knew why, so I tried to reboot, and it works again.

Overall, I say Microsoft did a good job! They sure bring security to the user! You con no longer aroid security center! It'll teach you about AV and Firewall. etc...

Update: forgot to add: the SP2 I downloaded was at least 475MB... it's sure a big update! I downloaded an ISO though, so I got the whole thing (whether my system needed it all or not).

Kris Kumar
08-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Well mobile users may see this screen, the first time they boot into XP after installing Service Pack 2.
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/ActiveSync.jpg

Since Service Pack 2 enables the firewall by default. It will prompt you anytime an application tries to open up a communication port for accepting incoming request. In this case ActiveSync is opening the port for accepting Network based ActiveSync requests (in case the following is checked : File -> Connection Settings-> Allow network and RAS connections with this desktop server).

You will also see similar prompts for AOL/Yahoo Messenger and other apps that wait for network based requests to come in.

Mike Temporale
08-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Good job. I'm glad they didn't approve specific programs and leave it open for them. Make everything locked down, and allow us to turn it on as needed. :way to go: