View Full Version : Napster and WM2003

coaldat6
08-06-2004, 03:01 AM
I copied a bunch of mp3s (ripped from CDs I own) onto the SD card in my phone and they sound great (no need for an mp3 player anymore).

But... I pay a subscription service for Napster and would really love to be able to put those songs on my phone and listen to them. I tried transfering them through Media Player 9 on my computer but it won't work. And if I directly copy the files they won't play.

Its a bit rediculous that Media Player 9 will work with a variety of MP3 players but not with Microsoft-based platforms.

Does anyone know if there's a way to do it? Does any other music service work on smartphones? Will it be possible in the near future?

Thanks for any help

-Mark

Nikhil
08-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Which phone do you have? My experience with DRM-encrypted WMA has been:

With my Motorola MPx200 and any DRM-WMA, with the phone runnning WM2003 and thus WMP9, the files will not play despite my transferring them via WMP on the PC unless I transfer them to main memory.

However,

with my i-mate Smartphone2, all DRM-WMA files transfer and play flawlessly (to SD or to main memory); the Smartphone2 is running WM2003 and has WMP9 as well.

I can't find any explanation for it; I've used MusicMatch and Napster and the same holds true for both.

coaldat6
08-06-2004, 10:23 PM
I have a Samsung i600 (Verizon). I searched through Microsoft's website and can't find anything on the subject. Napster is useless when it comes to getting help.

I tried copying WMAs onto the main memory and the (512 MB) SD card but neither attempt worked.

encece
08-21-2004, 03:58 AM
I can only transfer napster music to my phone via WMP. It transfers a DRM Liscense Certificate over with the song as well.

coaldat6
08-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Are those songs you bought or songs you listen to on a subscription basis.
Also, which phone do you have?

encece
08-22-2004, 02:04 AM
Songs I bought...via Napster, as well as songs that I ripped from CD.
I'm using an e200 (2003 OS)