View Full Version : Smart Backlight On The MPx220 Keypad

Kris Kumar
08-05-2004, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2005' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2005</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Normally the MPx220 has a blue keypad light which works pretty well and bright. However, in the sun or bright rooms you don't need a background light for the keypad at all and here the device switches-off the backlight. The sensor is on the bottom of the front, left from the "MPx220" writing."</i><br /><br />Arne Hess, over at PPCW.net while working on the MPx220 review discovered a clever feature that the Motorola folks have implemented to conserve battery power. Read about the smart backlight feature on the keypad and the feature which enables you to view self-portrait from the camera on the external screen. The features are truly ingenious but I am more amazed by Arne's following statement <i>"Please note that these features might not be available in all the Beta ROM versions out there right now"</i>. Wish I had that problem to worry about, I am still waiting for the WM2003 upgrade for my MPx200. :cry:

Kris Kumar
08-05-2004, 12:34 PM
If you are interested in the Orange C500 or QTek 8010, you will be glad to know that it has the light sensor too. It too will turn the keypad backlight on and off intelligently based on the light conditions.

Glad that this feature is becoming a standard on the Smartphones.

possmann
08-05-2004, 07:27 PM
sigh - october....

just one more cool little feature after another I'll have to wait for

Kris Kumar
08-05-2004, 07:37 PM
sigh - october....

just one more cool little feature after another I'll have to wait for

What I am worried about is that, by the time I get my hands on the MPx220, it will not be a cool phone anymore. There may be a cooler much more 'want-able' phone waiting for the launch.

Sigh....

jscown
08-05-2004, 09:46 PM
[quote=possmann]There may be a cooler much more 'want-able' phone waiting for the launch.

Sigh....

I think that's the nature of the beast and therefore a given... One of the hardest things for us gadget guys to do is to commit to a purchase when you know that the next great thing is "just around the corner"... :lol:

I guess that is why we see so many wireless forum participants with a list of past phones as long as your arm... I try to slow myself down by realizing how many houses I could have bought if I were not an early technology adopter... 8O

But I guess you can only live in one at a time...

Cheers!

TANKERx
08-05-2004, 10:55 PM
The smart backlight idea is great and saves a lot of battery power. When the Nokia 7650 Smartphone came out about two years ago, it had this feature and was really neat. I don't know why Nokia dropped the idea for their further models though; bad decision in my opinion :-(