View Full Version : Blackberry Connect To Be Enabled In Motorola MPx220 And MPx

Kris Kumar
07-27-2004, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://home.businesswire.com/portal//index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040727005346&newsLang=en' target='_blank'>http://home.businesswire.com/portal//index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040727005346&newsLang=en</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Research In Motion (RIM) today announced plans to enable BlackBerry(R) connectivity on the Motorola, Inc. MPx and MPx220 mobile devices. Through RIM's BlackBerry Connect(TM) licensing program, the Motorola MPx and MPx220 will be able to connect to BlackBerry services including BlackBerry Enterprise Server(TM) and BlackBerry Web Client(TM)."</i><br /><br />Motorola MPx220 has all the ingredients for a hit: Windows Mobile 2003, Bluetooth, Camera and now BlackBerry Connect, all in a very stylish packaging. Microsoft Smartphones have lacked a good E-Mail push mechanism and BlackBerry technology is the most popular E-Mail sync solution. Now that MPx220 has filled that gap, I am sure that we will see wider adoption of these phones by corporate customers. Now all we need is a good carrier.

Mike Temporale
07-27-2004, 02:27 PM
I think I just wet myself. :oops: Okay, MPx220 has my interest again!

aristoBrat
07-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Isn't this all depending on how the RIM lawsuit works out?

I know nothing about the actual lawsuit, but have been told by both T-Mobile and HP (seperately) that the h6300 is NOT going to ship with the BlackBerry Connect client because if they loaded it onto the device and RIM loses the lawsuit, they could be held liable as well. :?:

Does anyone know any more about this?

Jason Dunn
07-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Very cool stuff - this is one battle that the Pocket PC/Smartphone camp has been losing for a long time now. RIM connectivity is critical.

Mike Temporale
07-27-2004, 05:55 PM
...is NOT going to ship with the BlackBerry Connect client because if they loaded it onto the device and RIM loses the lawsuit, they could be held liable as well.

Well, I'm no lawyer, and I don't play one on TV either... But I don't think they would be liable. Of course they would need to purchase a valid license from the patent holder. Regardless, if RIM does loose, they will no doubt appeal. You won't see a resolution to this for at least another year or more. If in the end they loose, I'm sure that they will license the technology from the patent holder. There is too much at stake for them not too. Their whole business/revenue revolves around the technology covered by the patent.

Personally, I think RIM is in the wrong, but the patent holder is small, and won't be able to drag the fight out as long as RIM can.

Kris Kumar
07-28-2004, 04:50 AM
I wonder if BlackBerry Connect needs special driver or radio stack on the phone. It would be cool if user could download it from the RIM site and install it on their phones. This way existing Smartphone users will also benefit.

The press release states : "The BlackBerry Connect solution for the Motorola MPx and MPx220 is expected to be available separately via download in Q4. Further details will be available at a later date."

Does that mean exclusive download for MPx and MPx220 or for other Smartphones as well?

Kris Kumar
07-28-2004, 04:56 AM
Isn't this all depending on how the RIM lawsuit works out?

I know nothing about the actual lawsuit, but have been told by both T-Mobile and HP (seperately) that the h6300 is NOT going to ship with the BlackBerry Connect client because if they loaded it onto the device and RIM loses the lawsuit, they could be held liable as well. :?:

Does anyone know any more about this?

I think it is up to the partner to decide, whether they want to take the risk of siding with RIM on this technology or not.

Motorola has decided in favor. Where as T-Mobile decided to stay away, primarily because the lawsuit was filed against them and RIM. T-Mobile wants to keep things safe.

The thing that can break this deal Motorola and RIM deal is if Motorola is sued for licensing or using RIM's technology. Or if court orders against the deal.

I hope BlackBerry Connect makes it to the Smartphone world.

aristoBrat
07-28-2004, 04:04 PM
I hope BlackBerry Connect makes it to the Smartphone world.
Same here.

Our company is on an unofficial hold for adding more PPCPEs and WM SmartPhones until this is sorted out. We already have a BES server with plenty of licenses, so nobody wants to gamble buying more Cadenza licenses with the possibilty of BlackBerry Connect coming out.

Kris Kumar
07-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Our company is on an unofficial hold for adding more PPCPEs and WM SmartPhones until this is sorted out. We already have a BES server with plenty of licenses, so nobody wants to gamble buying more Cadenza licenses with the possibilty of BlackBerry Connect coming out.

A lot of companies are playing the wait and watch game. Pocket PC's and Pocket PC Phone Editions are very popular with custom enterprise application developers. But the lack of push E-Mail, one of the major requirements of any IT department, has forced the companies to go the BB route. Not anymore...