View Full Version : Microsoft Portrait on Smartphone

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Well color me disappointed...I was looking forward to trying out portrait on my Samsung i600, once I got the new OS, it was one of the first things I tried to load.

Unfortunatly, the i600 is restricted from loading that program...I tried to unrestrict my phone using instructions I found for other Smartphone models, but was unable to change the files in the ROM.

Does anyone have suggestions?

http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

FYI:

Microsoft Portrait is a research prototype for mobile video communication. It supports .NET Messenger Service, Session Initiation Protocol and Internet Locator Service on PCs, Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs and Smartphone. It runs on local area networks, dialup networks and even wireless networks with bandwidths as low as 9.6 kilobits/second. Microsoft Portrait delivers portrait-like video if users are in low bandwidths and displays full-color video if users are in broadband. In low bandwidths, portrait video possesses clearer shape, smoother motion, shorter latency and much cheaper computational cost than do conventional video technologies. Microsoft Portrait pursues providing presence notification, chat/voice/video functions anytime, anywhere, on any device.

Kris Kumar
07-19-2004, 03:24 AM
Unfortunatly, the i600 is restricted from loading that program...I tried to unrestrict my phone using instructions I found for other Smartphone models, but was unable to change the files in the ROM.

I don't have any suggestions.

But surprised that the i600 with WM2003 is not app unlocked. Wasn't that one of the complaints that VZ customers had with the 2002 version? Something that VZ later fixed through patch or something?

wirelessbeachbum
07-19-2004, 03:32 AM
I was surprised as well...as soon as the downloadable update comes out, I think I'll give it a try to see if anything is different.

Kris Kumar
07-19-2004, 03:53 AM
Have you tried installing Sprite Backup? I know people had problem with that app.