View Full Version : Verizon i600 WM2003 Update In Stores Now

Kris Kumar
07-16-2004, 10:30 PM
The wait may be over for the users of Samsung i600. Our reader, jojochef, posted this eagerly awaited news, in the thread related to the <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39693">Verizon i600 update announcements</a>.<div class="quote"> <span class="quote">jojochef said:</span> The verizon store near me just got the software for the 2003 os i just brought my phone in now to be re flashed with the upgrade, they told me to come back in an hour, when i dropped the phone off nothing mentioned about the fifteen dollar charge for the upgrade. Maybe they will get me when i pick it up? </div>:D We don't have any official confirmation from Verizon and I am guessing that only select stores may have gotten the update. If you find the update in your local Verizon store, please report it here in this thread, so that our other readers can benefit.

GMSmigun
07-16-2004, 11:51 PM
I called and asked Verizon Wireless customer service on Monday and the person told me the Verizon Wireless website would have a hyperlink to the software update when it launched.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1516

On Monday, when I checked the page for this handset, there was no link. I just checked the website again and found a change. Look at the bottom of the page to find a newly added hyperlink ...

"Download 2003 Windows Mobile Software"

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/samsung/

This hyperlink connects to a new website. Unfortunately, this website shows ...

"Windows Mobile 2003 Software Upgrade ... Coming Soon"

I guess you can call this progress. I just called two stores in my area. One said they did not have it yet. The other said, "This is still in testing and it will not be released until August". The VZW numnuts have no clue as to what the left and right hand are doing. This is par for the course when it comes to VZW customer service.

~ Geoffrey

Macguy59
07-17-2004, 12:16 AM
The corporate Verizon store in Champaign, IL said that their update tree showed folders for upgrade,but were empty as of yesterday.

Kris Kumar
07-17-2004, 12:17 AM
I don't have an i600, but decided to call the local Verizon store in my area, Rochester NY to get the latest Worry Free Guarantee update on the update :-)

The store has not heard of anything, in fact they don't even know what Windows Mobile 2003 is. Anyway the moment I said 'Software', they forwarded my call to tech support. The tech support lady mentioned VZ in the process of updating the store computers, and around middle of next week, I can walk into the store to get it updated.

Web site download would also be made available around the same time.

wirelessbeachbum
07-17-2004, 04:47 PM
http://www.samsungwireless.com/upgrade

and for the new wireless sync software

http://sync.verizonwireless.com

wirelessbeachbum
07-17-2004, 04:49 PM
http://www.samsungwireless.com/upgrade

and for the new wireless sync software

http://sync.verizonwireless.com

The Wireless Sync 2.0 software will enable the i600 to have "push" email. If you add this option make sure you have a data plan and text messaging package.

Berylium
07-17-2004, 05:46 PM
*UPDATE*
I just got back from the Verizon store after almost 3 hours! Unfortunately, the upgrade did not work on my phone. This was not entirely unexpected since my phone firmware version is so old that the caller ID fix and Messenger update wouldn't work on the device either. Verizon is sending me a replacement phone on Monday or Tuesday and I'll be doing the downloadable update on it when it arrives.

I live in Houston. The tech at the VZW store on the corner of San Felipe and Post Oak told me he had the upgrade last night and would be testing it on a demo unit this morning. He said I should come by this afternoon and he would flash my phone. I'm headed there now, I'll let everyone know if it's legit once I get back.

-Berylium

John Cody
07-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to save the 2002 version of the OS before upgrading to the 2003 in case I need to revert it back to 2002 OS?

squirrelist
07-17-2004, 08:40 PM
I went to the Verizon store in Snowden Square, Columbia, MD today and got my phone upgraded. Took about 45 minutes. Only one problem... I still have Smartphone 2002 on the phone. If I go to version information, it says:

S:i600.04 V:XE18, which is the correct version for 2003. But when I boot it up, it still says 2002 on the splash screen and the "about" information still says 2002.

I tried doing a hard reset, didn't help.

squirrelist
07-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I went to the Verizon store in Snowden Square, Columbia, MD today and got my phone upgraded. Took about 45 minutes. Only one problem... I still have Smartphone 2002 on the phone. If I go to version information, it says:

S:i600.04 V:XE18, which is the correct version for 2003. But when I boot it up, it still says 2002 on the splash screen and the "about" information still says 2002.

Update- went back to the store to complain, and he said he would try it again. When it finished, he told me that the installer gives a few options, and he selected the wrong one. So now I'm running 2003!

Jerry Raia
07-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know of a store in or near Los Ageles that has this upgrade?

ChrisWalker
07-17-2004, 10:37 PM
This is all great! How are you all liking the new SmartPhone 2003 operating system?

Is it faster?

Are you getting beter battery life?

Anything new and exciting?

I'm loving the idea of having the Compact Framework on mine :)

Chris

John Cody
07-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Update- went back to the store to complain, and he said he would try it again. When it finished, he told me that the installer gives a few options, and he selected the wrong one. So now I'm running 2003!

So, if he accidently flashed it with 2002, then it looks like there is a way to revert back to 2002, its just a matter to convince the verizon tech to do it :wink:

GMSmigun
07-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Has anyone paid for this upgrade yet ... or are they just flashing it? =)

~ Geoffrey

squirrelist
07-17-2004, 11:16 PM

So, if he accidently flashed it with 2002, then it looks like there is a way to revert back to 2002, its just a matter to convince the verizon tech to do it :wink:

Actually, it looks like there are two updates - the phone software, and the PDA software. The first time around he only updated the phone software, while the PDA software was still 2002. The second time he did both.

So far I am enjoying the update. I haven't used it long enough to know if the battery life improved. But it is certainly faster.

squirrelist
07-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Has anyone paid for this upgrade yet ... or are they just flashing it? =)

~ Geoffrey

They didn't charge me.

John Cody
07-17-2004, 11:22 PM
I also have a mpx-200 that I flashed with the 2003 OS...

One nice feature I noticed that was pretty cool if you do a lot of web surfing using PIE is that the new 2003 version of PIE:

1) Supports animated Gifs :)
2) Beside "Full page" and "Fit-to-screen", it has a third option called "one-column" that re-formats pretty much any webpage I threw at it, as one tall vertical column...no horizontal bar at all! And it did a pretty good job of reformating. Also, pressing and holding a direction key scrolled much faster in the new PIE.

MajesticNJ
07-18-2004, 01:08 AM
***NOTE*** Don't bother asking me where I am getting this info or how to get the software. I'm not tellin! Google around if you must or get the info from someone else. Sorry. I hope you all understand!

Looks like the upgrade has hit the net just not in the way Verizon would want it. :)

Only problem is that it doesn't include the needed Samsung PST tool to load it.

The steps don't look to complicated for someone who understands activesync and pocket pc OS and hardware but I can't see the average Verizon tech understanding them. Honestly! I called my local store today and they transferred me to tech support there. I asked the guy for the upgrade and he said "No problem! To upgrade your phone just call *228 and press 2." I said that won't do it pal. Heh.

Anyway, first line of the docs say "Tell the customer to hotsync the device as they will lose all data."

Hot Sync? Isn't that....nah....nah....couldn't be. :) Typical though. :)

Doesn't matter. I'm waiting for the install to come from Verizon directly. No telling what these things can do to your smartphone and most stores in my area don't have the i600 in stock as it has to be ordered. Don't want to not have a phone/pda for a few days so I'll wait. :)

Fred

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 03:36 AM

When doing the update you will want to make sure that both the phone and pda versions are updated...first time I tried it, I only updated the pda...had to go back later and update both...

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 03:41 AM
This is all great! How are you all liking the new SmartPhone 2003 operating system?

Is it faster?

Are you getting beter battery life?

Anything new and exciting?

I'm loving the idea of having the Compact Framework on mine :)

Chris

With the new OS you will want to make sure you are on a data plan...and not just using your airtime...as this device is capable of doing dormant data sessions (sessions are still connected to the network but not assigned a channel). I've been told that Verizon will stop allowing 1xrtt airtime connections as "airtime" if you don't have a data plan you will have to use IS95 aka QNC (14.4k connection speed instead of 60-80k average.)

John Cody
07-18-2004, 03:52 AM
With my current 2002 OS on the i600, I really couldn't see a speed difference between the two different networks (QNC, Express) when using the internal PIE web browser - probably due to the CPU speed of the i600.

But, I did see a BIG difference between the two network connections when using my i600 as a modem for my notebook PC.

So, if you use your i600 as a modem for a notebook PC, then it would probably be wise to get a data plan. But, if you will only be surfing the web and/or reading email account directly on the device, then the QNC network will probably satisfy your needs without having to spend more money for a data plan.

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 04:13 AM
It depends on what types of content you are viewing on your i600...not trying to take this thread too far off topic...

For basic web browsing html, wap sites etc...you will not notice a difference...and may not need to add a data plan.

However, if you plan on using the new wireless sync 2.0 service, you will need both a text message plan (the software sends an sms message to your device to initiate a sync when you get an email or new calandar item, so if you get allot of emails...that's allot of sms messages.) You will also want the faster data speed to complete your sync faster.

On a personal note, I use Window's Media Encoder to keep an eye on my home when I'm not there, as well as Beyond TV to stream live tv and prerecorded video directly to my phone...there is no way I could do that without 1x connectivity.

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 04:16 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to save the 2002 version of the OS before upgrading to the 2003 in case I need to revert it back to 2002 OS?

You would need to get a copy of the image file for the phone so that you could revert...but I doubt you would...the upgrade adds much needed functionality...my favorite is the pause feature in windows media player...it actually works now.

John Cody
07-18-2004, 04:24 AM
I wonder if the software in the verizon stores have the ability to restore a 2002 image for the customers that want to revert back?

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 04:54 AM
I wonder if the software in the verizon stores have the ability to restore a 2002 image for the customers that want to revert back?

The pst tool has the ability...but I'm not certain if they will have the image file...and if they do if they would know it. (remeber not all stores have full time techs.) many stores just use their customer service folks for this role...

I'm sure if it becomes an issue you can always get in touch with the business channel and one of the data engineers can make arrangements for you to revert....after using both...it would be like going from Windows XP back to Windows 3.1

Kris Kumar
07-18-2004, 05:02 AM

I am sure VZ can, but the store people may not have the training to do it. I am surprised that they are upgrading the devices to 2003 in store.

Also we haven't heard the formal announcement from VZ on this topic. We don't know if VZ is going to stop supporting 2002 after a certain date. Since they are planning to later charge customers $15, I am guessing they plan to support both the versions. Which means you should be able to send in your VZ to the tech support and they will flash the device to older ROM for you. But if they don't plan to support 2002 after a certain date then you won't be able to go back.

At times I can see why VZ and AT&T are shying from providing updates. They are not tech companies like Dell/HP. They are not geared to handle the software updates etc.

ChrisWalker
07-18-2004, 05:09 AM
With the new OS you will want to make sure you are on a data plan...and not just using your airtime...as this device is capable of doing dormant data sessions (sessions are still connected to the network but not assigned a channel). I've been told that Verizon will stop allowing 1xrtt airtime connections as "airtime" if you don't have a data plan you will have to use IS95 aka QNC (14.4k connection speed instead of 60-80k average.)

Wait a minute -- I thought the phone either had to be in "voice" mode or "data" mode. Can the phone do data transfer and voice at the same time? This is my _dream_.

Chris

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 05:11 AM
At times I can see why VZ and AT&T are shying from providing updates. They are not tech companies like Dell/HP. They are not geared to handle the software updates etc.

I agree...it would be tough to get all of their employees at the same level of support on these devices...40k employees in the US...and 40 million customers....most of those customers are not using any type of smartphone.

One of the reasons Verizon takes so long in launch new products is becuse in most cases they have to dumb down the support...ie.. they have to make it so average wireless reps can support the average consumer with issues...just trying to get some customers comfortable with setting up voice mail is hard enough...try training them on how to set-up and use an i600...or shudder...upgrade their operating system.

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 05:14 AM
Wait a minute -- I thought the phone either had to be in "voice" mode or "data" mode. Can the phone do data transfer and voice at the same time? This is my _dream_.

Chris

The phone can be in data mode and if it's not actively sending and receiving data you will receive your calls (dormant data session). This is good for web browsing and instant messaging as 80% of the time you are not sending or receiving...however if you are doing a wireless sync or using streaming media your calls will go to voice mail.

ChrisWalker
07-18-2004, 05:22 AM
The phone can be in data mode and if it's not actively sending and receiving data you will receive your calls (dormant data session). This is good for web browsing and instant messaging as 80% of the time you are not sending or receiving...however if you are doing a wireless sync or using streaming media your calls will go to voice mail.

So how do I make the phone do a "dormant data session" vs a full-on data session? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't seen this anywhere.

Also, can I send a quick IM or pull up a web page while I'm talking on the phone? I'm thinking about a situation where I'll be talking to someone on the phone via a headphone/microphone headset and will need to pull up a web page. Can I use a "dormant data session" for this?

Chris

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 05:44 AM
So how do I make the phone do a "dormant data session" vs a full-on data session? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't seen this anywhere.

Also, can I send a quick IM or pull up a web page while I'm talking on the phone? I'm thinking about a situation where I'll be talking to someone on the phone via a headphone/microphone headset and will need to pull up a web page. Can I use a "dormant data session" for this?

Chris

This is part of the WM 2003 OS, you can specify how long your device will stay connected when you initiate a connection...once you stop sending and receiving data your phone will stay connected (you will see the little arrows above your signal meter so you know you will be in a data session, you will also see the Rx: Tx: display, however you will not see a call on the outside display)

If you are in a voice call you will not be able to start a data session (so no email or IM while in a call). Now if you are in a data session and not actively sending and receiving data you will be able to receive a call.

This works pretty well for the most part, I have had some problems if I leave MSN Messenger set to connect automatically when there is an active connection, sometimes it will be in the process of trying to log me on right after I finish checking my email...which is not a problem unless I am trying to make a voice call at the same time...the call will not go thru, I have to go to the start page and hit the end key to end the data session before I can make a voice call. I solved this problem by setting messenger to only log me on, when I tell it to.

GMSmigun
07-19-2004, 06:02 AM
IT'S HERE!!!!!

Downloading now! =)

~ Geoffrey

Kris Kumar
07-19-2004, 06:34 AM
IT'S HERE!!!!!

Downloading now! =)

~ Geoffrey

I just finished setting up a news post announcing the availability of the download. Please do post your feedback regarding the download and the upgrade process in this thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39817).

Thanks

jsdkms
07-20-2004, 05:14 PM
:cry:

Is anyone else having problems installing the update for 2003? I get to the point where it says update in process and it just goes on with the status bar showing 0%??? Please help. My local Verizon store does not have the upgrade????

Thanks,
Jeff

Kris Kumar
07-20-2004, 08:29 PM
:cry:

Is anyone else having problems installing the update for 2003? I get to the point where it says update in process and it just goes on with the status bar showing 0%??? Please help. My local Verizon store does not have the upgrade????

Thanks,
Jeff

You would have better luck with this question in the following thread.
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39817

The current thread deals with in store update. The one that I have specified is being frequented by a lot of people who are doing upgrade themselves. All the best.

Santa Fe
07-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Instead of the "brain-damaging" download of Smartphone 2003 I dropped by my local Verizon store for the upgrade fully expecting them not to have it. They did but had no cable. I had my cable but they couldn't figure out how to connect it to their machine and wouldn't let me try to connect it. They promised to find a cable and call me when it comes in....Any bets?

Kris Kumar
07-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Instead of the "brain-damaging" download of Smartphone 2003 I dropped by my local Verizon store for the upgrade fully expecting them not to have it. They did but had no cable. I had my cable but they couldn't figure out how to connect it to their machine and wouldn't let me try to connect it. They promised to find a cable and call me when it comes in....Any bets?

Keep chanting Worry Free Guarantee.

Sorry could not resist.

mglish
07-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I got my phone upgraded in Mountain View, CA at the store on Rengsdorf near US 101. They quoted 15-20 minutes so I waited. It was obviously this particular person's first time doing it. She came back after about a half hour and said she needed to start over. So I decided to come back later... She was successful the second time. No charge.

The upgrade wipes everything out. So now I have to reinstall ActiveSynch to get my phone numbers, etc. installed again from Outlook. If you have anything on your phone that can't be synched (e.g., Favorites), you'd better make sure you can restore later.

mglish
07-26-2004, 06:40 PM
So far the upgrade done by Verizon Wireless is working fine. I signed up for the Wireless Sync service which seems to work reasonably well. Generally, the user interface is very confusing regarding how you configure the synchronization process. Also the push can only be done once an hour (as far as I can tell). So the i600 isn't going to be a Blackberry killer (as I'm sure everyone already knows). In fact, I turned off push since I don't want to kill my battery getting email until I want it.

Mike