View Full Version : Get i600, or wait for next generation? Is it worth it?

ChrisWalker
07-13-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm really torn. I've been waiting for a WM2003 SmartPhone from Verizon, and its time is apparently nigh at hand :)

Two questions:

1. I would really like Bluetooth. And GPS if possible. Oooh. The i600 has neither of these. With the price of these units being so relatively expensive, should I hold off for a few months, hoping for a new phone to come out, or should I take the plunge?

2. I haven't been super-impressed by the interface of the 2002 or 2003 SmartPhones. It just seems a little kludgey. It is a first generation device? Does everyone here like how easy it is/isn't to operate?

Chris

Kris Kumar
07-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Verizon it seems is soon going to provide an update (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39594) for the i600, which will upgrade it to 2003. I believe 19th July is the date.

1. There are no planned or announced CDMA based Smartphones with BT. And based on the discussion in another thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5809), it seems like the CDMA world may not see another Smartphone for quite some time. So if you want BT and want to stick with Verizon, then there aren't any options. The only way out is to change carrier to T-Mobile or AT&T, because GSM world has a lot of Smartphone options.

2. Interface has its + and -. But the platform is powerful and rich in terms of functions it can do. Some stuff like Home Screens, and Contact search in the Dialer, makes it handy phone. 2003 is a little more polished than 2002.

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 03:49 AM
Bluetooth would be nice...but it's not a deal breaker....the closest thing coming out in the future would be the HTC harrier...which is not running the smartphone os, but the phone edition....it will be larger, and have a touch screen camera...keyboard...EVDO etc...but is a little on the large side compared to the i600.

HTC is also rumored to be making a smartphone device as well...but I don't have any info on that as of yet.