View Full Version : Virus and SPAM protection?

smartphone_guru
07-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Hello all. I just got my first Smartphone and I'm wondering if you know any developments in good software to protect my phone from viruses and SPAM SMS messages...

are there any companies like Symantec developing antivirus for Smartphones?

Mike Temporale
07-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Computer Associates has a AntiVirus program for Windows Mobile-based devices (both PPC and Smartphone). But I wouldn't get too excited. There has only been 1 mobile virus to date and it was a concept virus that was designed for Symbain based devices. Also, there has been talk that a virus isn't possible on Windows Mobile-based Smartphones due to application installation prompts and locks. Of course only time will tell.

smartphone_guru
07-14-2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks Mike.

But viruses for Smart Phones are on the way. It is possible for viruses to infect .exe files, .dll files, and .lnk files that a Smart Phone user could download from the Internet or receive via email. I'm sure there're ways to bypass the prompts and locks to automatically run an .exe file.

Additionally, as Smart Phones become more popular and people use them for web surfing, we'll have to worry about viruses embedded in ActiveX and JavaScript.

I do know that a company called Trend Micro (based in Tokyo) is developing antivirus and anti-SPAM for Windows Mobile Smart Phones. It's due out in Q4 this year.... keep an eye open.

Mike Temporale
07-14-2004, 03:54 PM
But viruses for Smart Phones are on the way. It is possible for viruses to infect .exe files, .dll files, and .lnk files that a Smart Phone user could download from the Internet or receive via email. I'm sure there're ways to bypass the prompts and locks to automatically run an .exe file.

here's the article I was referring to. http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5761

right now we're fine, and I don't think that is going to change in the next 6-8 months.

Additionally, as Smart Phones become more popular and people use them for web surfing, we'll have to worry about viruses embedded in ActiveX and JavaScript.

Ya, once the get more popular there could be some problems. But until then it's highly unlikely that anyone would waste the time writing a virus for the Smartphone. Heck, the Pocket PC has become very popular, and I don't know of any viruses for it. Same goes for BlackBerry-based devices. Both of those will be a target before the Smartphone.

I do know that a company called Trend Micro (based in Tokyo) is developing antivirus and anti-SPAM for Windows Mobile Smart Phones. It's due out in Q4 this year.... keep an eye open.

CA's eTrust Anti-Virus is out now. It's been out for a couple months now. Here's the link to that story http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5454 Personaly, I use eTrust on my machines and have a copy of their Windows Mobile versions. I just don't see the point in wasting the CPU cycles until there is a bigger threat.