View Full Version : Try MoBlogUK For All Your Advertising Free Mobile Blog Needs

Mike Temporale
07-12-2004, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.MoblogUK.com' target='_blank'>http://www.MoblogUK.com</a><br /><br /></div>There is a new Mobile blog on the block; <a href="http://www.mobloguk.com">MoblogUK.com</a> and they aren't like the others. <br /><br /><i>"You take photos, shoot video or capture audio with your camera phone and then email them to us, direct from the phone, where-ever you are. The media file is then put online in your very own mobile-multi-mediablog - instantly sharing the moment, as the adverts like to say. When you upload a media file (or more than one at once), you can add a title (as the email subject) which will be displayed as the title of the post, and accompianing text as the email body. Unlike most other moblog services, we don't presume to claim ownership of any of your stuff, you're free to choose your own license for your photos, video and audio."</i><br /><br />MoBlogUK is also offering an easy to modify CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) based layout, and they don't carry any advertising, ever! I don't know how they plan to stay a float with no revenue stream, but they look pretty neat. Has anyone here setup a MoBlogUK account and care to share it with us?

jimhanas
07-13-2004, 05:31 PM
I've been using MoblogUK for close to two months. My mob, "Shiny, Pointy & Tall," is devoted entirely to pictures of tourists taking pictures of the Chrysler Building and has gotten a lot of comments and response. You can view it here.

http://www.moblg.net/blogs.php?show=730

The service is ad-free, but you get more features the more you donate. I think I kick in $5 a month and get everything there is. The system is not particularly flexible, however. There's a handful of templates, but other style sheets have to be uploaded by hand by the admin. I haven't bothered. If you want something more flexible, you should probably just build your own with Movable Type. If, like me, you just want a moblog to link to from your regular blog, this is a good way to go. It's a real mom and pop-type operation, the service is personal and all the users are very friendly.

Also note, Smartphone users, that all the pictures on my moblog were taken with the ViewTake camera attachment for the MPx200, used with a locked AT&T issued phone. Not too bad, eh?

jim

long-time lurker, first-time poster

Mike Temporale
07-13-2004, 05:49 PM
The service is ad-free, but you get more features the more you donate. I think I kick in $5 a month and get everything there is. The system is not particularly flexible, however. There's a handful of templates, but other style sheets have to be uploaded by hand by the admin. I haven't bothered. If you want something more flexible, you should probably just build your own with Movable Type. If, like me, you just want a moblog to link to from your regular blog, this is a good way to go. It's a real mom and pop-type operation, the service is personal and all the users are very friendly.

ah, so that's how they plan to pay for it. Shame they haven't got everything automated, but I'm sure it's something they are planning on doing.

Also note, Smartphone users, that all the pictures on my moblog were taken with the ViewTake camera attachment for the MPx200, used with a locked AT&T issued phone. Not too bad, eh?

How do you find the ViewTake camera? How snug of a fit is it?

jim

long-time lurker, first-time poster

Welcome! :D oh, and I like the moblog. Cool idea.

jimhanas
07-13-2004, 06:03 PM
How do you find the ViewTake camera? How snug of a fit is it?

The camera works fine and it snaps in somewhat tightly. The whole thing is a little cumbersome and delicate with the camera in place, however, so I kind of have to "prepare" to take pictures, which cuts against the whole spontaneity thing. Also, the camera software sometimes cannot locate the attachment and you have to restart the program to get it to wise up. All in all, it's a fine stop-gap until I move up to the 220 or the MPX.