View Full Version : My Kingdom For A Good Joystick

Mike Temporale
06-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Lately, I have been spending a fair amount of time playing games on my phone. My recent addiction (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5582) requires great accuracy and speed. On a regular basis, I find that the joystick on my SPV just doesn't respond when called upon and it ends up being a costly mistake. :( I find the joystick very soft and poor for game play or even for basic selection use, like clicking on an email. So my question to all of you is this. Which do you prefer for general navigation and game play on your Smartphone, a Joy-Pad (like the MPx200) or a Joystick (like the SPV)?

encece
06-12-2004, 01:01 AM
I like the pad better, only because I het the action button less accidentally.

But the important feature for games in the 8 way movement which my e200 does not have.

AFAIK the phones have the following:

SPV Canary: 8 way
SPV Tanager: 8 way
SPV Voyager: 4 way
MPX200: 8 way (but with conflicts)

Jason Dunn
06-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Hmm...it's funny, but I've never given this much thought. Likely because I don't play games very often on my Smartphone (other than Jawbreaker). Guess I need to load it up with some games. :D

refnulf
06-12-2004, 03:22 AM
I like joystick better, but the moto's won't have any.

Kris Kumar
06-12-2004, 10:39 AM
I prefer joypads, but feel that MPx200's joypad is poorly designed. The Left/Right buttons are too small or narrow. Eagerly waiting for the MPx220, from the photos it seems like Moto has fixed that issue.

TANKERx
06-12-2004, 12:10 PM
I know I keep going on about other platforms but I could lie and say that the SPV one is the best ever. The SPV one is the one for which I voted, but I think the best joysticks on any phones at the moment are on Nokia's Smartphones (7650, 6600). They are proper joysticks, and strong enough to handle the pressure of daily life (I heard that some SPVs had to be sent back for repair after that excellent Soccer game came out).

Of course, that Soccer Game (who's name I cannot remember) is unplayable on my MPx200 :-(

Ben
06-14-2004, 10:37 PM
I think the perfect solution here is a joypad, but one like on the orginal nintendo controllers. Those were so simple and responsive. It is amazing how frustrating the mpx200 can be with a joypad that is a little less responsive (perhaps due to conflicts or whatever). A joystick is no good, though, and certainly wouldn't fit in a clamshell phone very easily, and I only want clamshells because I like to carry my phone in my pocket, not on my belt, and want the screen to be protected without some complicated case that adds bulk and gets in the way of other features.

refnulf
06-16-2004, 02:06 AM
I'm beginning to take to the idea of getting a clamshell because that type of phone protects the screen. My candy bar phones are all scratched to hell.

lonesniper
06-16-2004, 07:21 PM
The joystick on my SonyEricisson T68i broke off today, so if i spend big money on a Smartphone it will have to have a Joypad.

Colin

Mike Temporale
06-16-2004, 08:09 PM
The joystick on my SonyEricisson T68i broke off today,

:eek: Not good. Not good at all. Were you playing hard? Did something fall on it? Obviously this isn't a normal thing to have happen, but it frightens me to think that they could break with little force.

refnulf
06-17-2004, 06:33 AM
My t68 is still going strong. No problems whatsoever, just the occasional servicing. Joystick's workin great too.