View Full Version : A Painful Smartphone Bug, or a Ghost in the Machine?

Jason Dunn
05-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Ok, this really sucks. Last night I took a few video clips on my SPV E200 (I use it on the Fido network (http://www.fido.ca)) of a concert I was at. I took these video clips specifically to email to a buddy of mine who lives in another part of Canada. I also had a few other video clips on there from other events, and I decided to clear them all out at once. I connected the E200 via ActiveSync, poked around until I found the video clips and a few photos, and dragged them all into a folder on my desktop computer. After the transfer was completed, I deleted the files off my Smartphone and opened up the folder...only to see that while the photos were there, none of the videos were. Hidden files were already set to show, so they weren't hidden - they simply weren't there. They weren't in my Recycle Bin either - they're just gone. 8O

I just tried replicating this by repeating the behaviour from last night, and the video files transferred over ok. Very confusing! :? Have you encountered anything similar?

Mike Temporale
05-21-2004, 08:02 PM
I've had this type of thing happen when transfering files to and from a flash memory card using a memory card reader on pre-WinXP machines. The problem was always caused by removing the media before I stopped it.

But I have never had this problem when transfering over ActiveSync... Jason, didn't I read a post a while back where you talked about a special backup folder for ActiveSync, where it kept a copy of the files being transfered? I think this was on the PPCT site. Or I could just be going a little crazy. :silly:

Jason Dunn
05-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Jason, didn't I read a post a while back where you talked about a special backup folder for ActiveSync, where it kept a copy of the files being transfered? I think this was on the PPCT site. Or I could just be going a little crazy. :silly:

Well, since there's no file sync conduit, the files wouldn't have synched anyway - and the backup folder I referenced is only for synched files. :?

Why isn't there a file sync conduit again? :roll:

Mike Temporale
05-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, since there's no file sync conduit...

DOH! What was I thinking. :twak: Ya, just ignore me. That won't help you out at all.