View Full Version : Which Phone Do You Want Next?

David McNamee
05-16-2004, 08:00 PM
There's going to be some really great hardware hitting the streets pretty soon. It's going to be a tough decision as to which phone to get next. This is a much better problem, though, than the problem we had this time last year. Then, the problem was finding someone in Europe who could ship over an SPV :D

I'm sure I'll pick up an MPx220, but there's something about the Sagem My S-7 that jumps out at me. I also have my eye on the Voq and its built-in keyboard. Which phone are you excited about?

Macguy59
05-17-2004, 12:50 AM
I would take any of the new Motorola's but since I'm on Verizon . . . :cry:

Ben
05-18-2004, 02:59 AM
I must confess: the Mpx220 is my ideal phone, and I will buy it at any price the moment it is available. I can't imagine a more perfect phone, game machine, mp3 player, adequate camera, voice recorder, document reader, and general productivity tool (as long as I can get a small or folding compatible qwerty keyboard to plug or Bluetooth in). I have also always preferred the clamshell design, and will never own a phone that cannot fold to protect the screen and fit right in my pocket. I HATE wearing a phone on my belt in some leather case that does not really fit quite right and makes the whole thing even bulkier.

My fear, though, is that this phone is not for real, or was considered and then discarded. The rumors constantly suggest it will be released shortly (even by the end of the month!) but it is my understanding that there never was an official announcement from Motorola, just some leak images and random responses to inquires that may or may not be legitimate.

My fears, however, are predicated upon a philosophical enigma as to corporate motivation: if this phone does exist, why WOULDN'T Motorola announce it? The hype can only serve to increase sales, right? So what possible reason could they have to silently wait for the release and then "surprize" everyone with an unanticipated offering? Don't they want the free publicity and anticipation created by the hype and official announcement?

What people currently believe, namely that the phone will be released shortly with no announcement, simply sounds irrational to me. Motorola has investors that want to know what they are up to, especially now while things are very good for them, and I cannot conceive of any reason whatsoever to keep it a secret. Any thoughts out there?

Kris Kumar
05-18-2004, 06:46 PM
The popular belief is that MPx220 announcement will kill the MPx200 sales. Which I believe is a good point because I was holding off my purchase of the elusive MPx220, but then my Dev Kit phone started acting up, forcing me to buy the MPx200 as stop gap arrangement.

The other reason, why Motorola doesn't need to make formal announcements months ahead, is because MPx220 is supposedly a refresh of the MPx200 model. Though have to say its a pretty feature laden refresh with SP2003, BT and Camera.

refnulf
05-30-2004, 02:00 PM
The mpx isn't a smartphone, but it's small enough to consider. I'll have to see if I'm willing to pay so much for it. It's going to cost the same amount as the XDA II yes?

But at the moment, the phone I want is the mpx220. I'm not a big fan of clam shell phones but it's definitely better than the e200 and I'm not a symbian fan. So that rules out the other smartphones around that use that os.

I would have bought the mpx200, but it doesn't have bluetooth, and no camera and it's running on 2002 and thank god for forums like these :) Helps a brother to no end.

Mike Temporale
05-30-2004, 04:00 PM
The mpx isn't a smartphone, but it's small enough to consider. I'll have to see if I'm willing to pay so much for it. It's going to cost the same amount as the XDA II yes?

We hope so. Truth is no one knows. Early rumours indicate that it will be significantly more than the XDA.

refnulf
05-30-2004, 08:45 PM
At the moment, people are saying the mpx could go for a cool $900-$940 but that's not really confirmed. That's high end pricing already, you could get a XDA II or a p900 for that. The XDA II is about $900 here atm, what's the pricing for it there?