View Full Version : Software Recommendations

Robert Levy
04-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Suppose a friend comes up to you and says "I just got one of those new Windows Mobile Smartphones that you keep talking about! It's pretty cool but I'd like to install more programs on it." What would you recommend as the first apps your friend should download and install?

Jerry Raia
04-29-2004, 12:15 AM
The Resco Utilities. In particular the explorer and the picture viewer.
Next Power Tasks and Power Calendar.

I think the above is a good place to start.

encece
04-29-2004, 01:23 AM
These are the apps I load everytime:

Power Tasks
Much Better than the built in Tasks App

Power Calendar
Much Better than the built in Calendar App

SmartphoneNotes
Adds the functionality missing from the Smartphone OS

Binarys SmartExplorer
An excellent and free Explorer App (worth paying for)

Binarys SPTaskManager
A easy to use Program (Task) Manager

PHM RegEdit
Necessary for the occassional tweak

AgileMessenger
Like Trillian for the Smartphone

PocketTV and/or PocketMVP
Play MPEGs and DIVX on your phone (respectively)

Mapopolis
Very cool and feature rich mapping application.

ConnectedBits Weather
Free Weather Application...shows a benefit of having a connected device

All-Locations GPRS Traffic Counter
Count those precious little (and most times limited) bytes.

eWallet
Save your ever growing list of passwords, pin numbers, credit card and account numbers, etc....on your phone, encrypted from prying eyes.

sergiopi
04-29-2004, 08:17 AM
I am a business user, CEO of an ICT company, I am using CE since casio Casiopeia, CE 1.0, still working, and I had ALL the CE versions, from HP, Toshiba, DELL, MITAC MIO, and a some of NOKIA, MOTOROLA and ERICCSON, SAGEM cell phones (I am 46, changing cellphone every 6-8 months...). I use outlook 2003 for my business

From my business point of view I need, after 6 months of MIO testing:

1) Clearvue suite, i need to read office documents on the go.
Any power user uses e-mail to give instructions to people working with/for him, and office IS the document format standard, together with acrobat PDF. NOT repligo, beause I receive documents as e-mail attachment, repligo converts them during syncronizzation

2) Pocket Street, I work in some cities, I love to have map, restaurants, facilities when I am out, and having them only "on line" is tricky and slow

3) Binarys Smart Explorer I need a power interface to manage files and folders, zip or unzip, e-MAIL ATTACH (a big leak in smartphone, is not native), IR send

4) Resco Image, I have a fax-to-e.mail account, I receive faxes on the go, but they are in .TIFF format, i need to read them

5)Smartphone notes , I use notes, so I need to manage them on the go, I write a note then I send as SMS, and I have the note Sync in may PC when I am back

A couple of batteries!, this is the worst problem for MS smartphone business users, may be a sync-and-charge cable could help to solve this.

Still unsolved I am using "send contact or appointment via SMS" on my phone, and no way to make this in a Smartphone. This could be new software....

dollardr
04-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up on Connected Weather Bits. That's a great little program I have never heard of and perfect use of a smartphone (i.e. web services type application).

Santa Fe
04-29-2004, 03:03 PM
To the list I'd add Repligo for document viewing and Smartycalc (http://www.mobilogies.com/) for a better calculator.

E-Wallet is my most used software after Power Calander. I keep valuable password protected data there and on my PC.

encece
04-29-2004, 03:07 PM
damn....forgot ewallet as well! Must have for me. :)

ARW
04-29-2004, 05:33 PM
I'd add Code Wallet, Tiny Ebook Reader and Kevtris to the list.

Mike Temporale
04-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Let us not forget Sprite Backup (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=37244#37244), and some real home screens (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5131)

yoos
05-04-2004, 03:20 AM
My top 4 in order of preference...

1. XBar 2

2. Codewallet Pro

3. Binarys SmartExplorer

4. PHM Registry Editor