View Full Version : Setting up Smartphone with Rogers AT&T - HELP!

Xizor
04-28-2004, 03:35 AM
Hey There,

I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, but I can't seem to figure out how to set up an internet connection on MS Smartphone 2002 (Mitac Mio 8380). Here are the connection details from Rogers:

Domain: goam.com
Userid: wapuser1
password: wap
IP address: 208.200.067.150
Homepage: mymobilehomepage.rogers.com

Anybody out there that can help me!!!

Jason Dunn
04-28-2004, 04:21 AM
What you need to do is create a new GPRS connection for your Smartphone to use. I'm using a Smartphone 2003-based E200, so it might not be identical to a 2002 device, but it will be close:

1) Start > Settings > More > Data Connections
2) Menu > Edit Connections
3) Go into GPRS Connections
4) Menu > Add
5) Put in a description such as Rogers GPRS
6) Connects To should be set to The Internet
7) Access point...you don't seem to have that information. I'm on Fido, and the access point I use is internet.fido.ca - you'll need to find out that bit of info
8) Username and Password are whatever info they gave you - leave the DNS and everything else blank (if this doesn't work try putting in the IP address they gave you, but that would be unusual...the network should automatically assign your phone an IP address, not a hard coded one)
9) Click DONE
10) Click DONE
11) Everything should be set to AUTOMATIC or Fido GPRS

The more I look at your info though, the more I think it's just WAP info - you're 100% sure you have GPRS access on your account?

Xizor
04-28-2004, 04:49 AM
Good point.. .back to the help line I go. I'm glad these guys are SO knowledgable :roll:

SmartbrothA
07-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi Jason,

I have an MPx200 and am trying to configure data services and wap. I am also on Fido. Could you please post detailed instructions on how to configure for :cry: including IE settings and also for data services. My handsep just keep tell me to verfiy network settings. It's driving me mad.
Folk at Fido are clueless so any help that you can offer would be great.

Thx

SmartbrothA

What you need to do is create a new GPRS connection for your Smartphone to use. I'm using a Smartphone 2003-based E200, so it might not be identical to a 2002 device, but it will be close:

4) Menu > Add
5) Put in a description such as Rogers GPRS
7) Access point...you don't seem to have that information. I'm on Fido, and the access point I use is internet.fido.ca - you'll need to find out that bit of info
8) Username and Password are whatever info they gave you - leave the DNS and everything else blank (if this doesn't work try putting in the IP address they gave you, but that would be unusual...the network should automatically assign your phone an IP address, not a hard coded one)
9) Click DONE
10) Click DONE

The more I look at your info though, the more I think it's just WAP info - you're 100% sure you have GPRS access on your account?

Jason Dunn
07-20-2004, 04:05 PM
I have an MPx200 and am trying to configure data services and wap. I am also on Fido. Could you please post detailed instructions on how to configure

I can tell you how to set up GPRS, but not WAP - I've never configured WAP nor do I plan to (I think it's useless). Here's how you'd set it up for Fido:

4) Menu > Add
5) Put in a description such as Fido GPRS
7) Access point is internet.fido.ca
8) Username: fido, Password: fido - don't change anything else
9) Click DONE
10) Click DONE

That's it! Once you configure the main connection, everything from Pocket Internet Explorer to Pocket Inbox will use that same connection.

SmartbrothA
07-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Thx jason I will try those settings, and thx for getting back to me so quickly.

SmartbrothA

I have an MPx200 and am trying to configure data services and wap. I am also on Fido. Could you please post detailed instructions on how to configure

I can tell you how to set up GPRS, but not WAP - I've never configured WAP nor do I plan to (I think it's useless). Here's how you'd set it up for Fido:

4) Menu > Add
9) Click DONE
10) Click DONE

That's it! Once you configure the main connection, everything from Pocket Internet Explorer to Pocket Inbox will use that same connection.

SmartbrothA
07-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi Jason,

I tried them, it did not work, the handset tells me to verify that i have network coverage. The strange think is my hand set shows the G at the top and on the front face of the handset, so i know it is set up for data services.

Do you have to do anything special after you change the settings to make them take or anything?

SmartbrothA

4) Menu > Add
9) Click DONE
10) Click DONE

Jason Dunn
07-20-2004, 05:01 PM
I tried them, it did not work, the handset tells me to verify that i have network coverage. The strange think is my hand set shows the G at the top and on the front face of the handset, so i know it is set up for data services.

Hmm. That's very strange. Have you tried power cycling the phone (OFF/ON)? Try manually setting the connection manager to use the Fido GPRS connection, not just Automatic.

SmartbrothA
07-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Tried those. still no Joy.

I upgrade my smartphone to WM2003, i am wondering if that has something to do with it. Do you know of any patches if that is the answer.

SmartbrothA

Hmm. That's very strange. Have you tried power cycling the phone (OFF/ON)? Try manually setting the connection manager to use the Fido GPRS connection, not just Automatic.

Jason Dunn
07-20-2004, 09:22 PM
I upgrade my smartphone to WM2003, i am wondering if that has something to do with it. Do you know of any patches if that is the answer.

Hrm. Considering there's no legal upgrade for the MPx200 to 2003, I'm not sure what to suggest because for all I know the build you're using is broken (that's the risk with warez - you never know what you're getting). Those are the same settings I use in my E200 with 2003, so they should work just fine.

SmartbrothA
07-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi Jason,

To respond to your point, I am running 2003 which was freely available on another forum. I have been able to access the net using rogers gprs setting found in this forum and others using my current o/s and i was able to connect first time. So I am at a loss as to understand what's going on. I am not a green but for some strange reason Fido gprs does not want to work on my phone. I have tried various fido gprs settings none work, so if someone has been able to get fido gprs to work on an mpx200, i would appreciate a detail how to with the correct settings.

Thx.
If not Fido has to go bye bye.
SmartbrothA

Hrm. Considering there's no legal upgrade for the MPx200 to 2003, I'm not sure what to suggest because for all I know the build you're using is broken (that's the risk with warez - you never know what you're getting). Those are the same settings I use in my E200 with 2003, so they should work just fine.

Jason Dunn
07-27-2004, 05:53 PM
To respond to your point, I am running 2003 which was freely available on another forum.

It might have been freely available, but it's not legal, and it's not coming from Motorola. It's a hacked ROM image that hasn't been tested by Motorola, so strange things happening is what you should expect. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's the truth.

I have been able to access the net using rogers gprs setting found in this forum and others using my current o/s and i was able to connect first time.

There are subtle differences in how carriers implement GPRS and the various protocols surrounding it, so it's not surprising that you can connect to Rogers and not Fido.

Going to Rogers with your hacked phone might be the best solution. :-)

SmartbrothA
07-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Here's the thing. Should i wish to revert back to 2002 o/s i would not be able to because the orignial rom is not on the Motorola compainion disk. I suspect however, that the fido gprs settings would still would not. If you know where I can get a generic 2002 rom, i am happy to take the test and to post the results.

SmartbrothA

To respond to your point, I am running 2003 which was freely available on another forum.

It might have been freely available, but it's not legal, and it's not coming from Motorola. It's a hacked ROM image that hasn't been tested by Motorola, so strange things happening is what you should expect. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's the truth.

I have been able to access the net using rogers gprs setting found in this forum and others using my current o/s and i was able to connect first time.

There are subtle differences in how carriers implement GPRS and the various protocols surrounding it, so it's not surprising that you can connect to Rogers and not Fido.

Going to Rogers with your hacked phone might be the best solution. :-)

Mike Temporale
07-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Not sure what to tell you then. Those settings work for everyone I know with a MPx200 connecting to Fido. Your best choice might be to switch to Rogers.

Jason Dunn
07-27-2004, 09:18 PM
I suspect however, that the fido gprs settings would still would not.

Well, it worked for me with my MPx200, so I'm pretty confident that it would work for you as well. My MPx200 is an AT&T-branded phone that I unlocked.

soheil
11-04-2005, 07:47 PM
hey guys,

i set up my t-mobile sda music just the way Xizor explained it. Did you set up any proxy? What about dial-up connection and vpn connection.

Here my configuration:
---------
-> for GPRS:
- connects to: the internet
- acces point: internet.fido.ca
- user name: fido
- password: fido
- else empty (prim & sec DNS, IP)
---------
-> for WAP:
- connects to: wap network
- acces point: wap.fido.ca
- user name: fido
- password: fido
- else empty (prim & sec DNS, IP)
---------

Fido gave me an ip for the Wap settings: 205.151.011.011. what is this for?

Internet Explorer i setup like this:
menu-connection-internet

I did delete connections from before:
- no dial-up connection
- no vpn-connection
- no proxy

I get the following error-message with the gprs connection after calling www.google.ca: "Unable to connect. Verify you have network coverage and try again." I can say that i have network coverage. 4 bars!

I get the following error-message with the wap connection after calling www.google.ca: "the page you are looking for cannot be found"

Wap Connection is not working properly I found out that if establishes connection, then shows "finding site" and then the error message in ie shows up.
Any ideas?