View Full Version : European Mobile Operators Push For Common Handset Specs

Mike Temporale
04-21-2004, 02:08 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.idg.com.sg/idgwww.nsf/0/92311600E2C9296E48256E7D00165318?OpenDocument' target='_blank'>http://www.idg.com.sg/idgwww.nsf/0/92311600E2C9296E48256E7D00165318?OpenDocument</a><br /><br /></div>"Several leading European mobile phone operators have begun talks to form an initiative aimed at identifying requirements for open mobile terminal platforms. Orange SA, mmO2 PLC, Telefónica Móviles SA, T-Mobile International AG & Co. KG and Vodafone Group PLC hope to persuade manufacturers and other parties to agree to a set of common technical specifications that could make the development and launch of new services on handsets easier and more cost-efficient, Vodafone spokesman Bobby Leach said Tuesday. "This is about the industry agreeing on a higher level of commonality in handset terminal platforms," he said. "It's not about a group of mobile phone companies teaming up to build their own operating system and compete against Microsoft (Corp.) or Symbian (Ltd.)""<br /><br />It sounds like they are looking to ensure that all phones support x and y protocol and we can re-brand or customize these features. And not that every phone must have a 1.2 megapixel camera with 64 meg RAM. It sounds logical to me, what do you guys think?

possmann
04-21-2004, 07:13 PM
I just don't get it... So they are upset at who? the phone manufacturer?
enter the soap box
This goes back to my numerous comments on how the manufacturers and the phone companies ought to work - regarding OS....
If we took the same approach to buying a phone as we do to buying a computer we wouldn't have this problem. I have always argued that the phone carriers need to focus on one thing only - coverage.
We need ot get these guys out of the phone customization programs and beat on them that their revenue/income ought to be used for building better, faster networks and increasing coverage. Let them 3rd party contract with someone that wants to mindlessly buy a phone based on looks alone.
Why is this so complex?