View Full Version : Extended battery - not acting very extended

robinsonb
04-19-2004, 03:11 PM
I usually keep the extended battery on my Samsung and it normally lasts a long time. Lately, it's draining very quickly and not charging all the way. Anyone else having trouble? Are these batteries under warranty? Will Verizon replace them for free?

b.

wombat90
04-22-2004, 08:59 AM
To conserve the life of your battery make sure you cycle you battery. Batteries have a "memory", so be sure you run your battery all the way down before recharging it.
By constantly charging it every night, every time you get in the car, or every time you sync your phone; your batteries power times will greatly decrease quickly. Never plug in unless the phone has turned off due to the battery.
This may seem like a stretch, but my prior phone had a battery that lasted for 3 days(left on during the night) on the original battery at the time I retired it, for my i600 with over a year of use.

Jon Westfall
04-22-2004, 02:19 PM
To conserve the life of your battery make sure you cycle you battery. Batteries have a "memory", so be sure you run your battery all the way down before recharging it.
By constantly charging it every night, every time you get in the car, or every time you sync your phone; your batteries power times will greatly decrease quickly. Never plug in unless the phone has turned off due to the battery.
This may seem like a stretch, but my prior phone had a battery that lasted for 3 days(left on during the night) on the original battery at the time I retired it, for my i600 with over a year of use.

I thought the memory effect was only an issue on Ni-Cad (maybe also NiMH), not the lithium batteries that are popular now. Not charging until the phone already dies makes for a lot of lost phone calls. I've had regular cell phones for years and never had a battery drain like this, and always charged them when they were 50 - 25% full. Deffective battery is my opinion.

Mike Temporale
04-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Agreed, with the Lithium-Ion batteries you are supposed to charge them at random intervals, and never let them fully discharge.

wombat90
04-22-2004, 03:44 PM
The memory effect is still prevalent in lithium ion batteries. Companies advertised that it did not have the memory effect because the charging cycles affected the batteries far less then their former.
Is always best to cycle.

craia
05-31-2004, 09:01 PM
It is correct that Li-Ion batteries do NOT have memory like the old Ni-cad batteries. However, it is still a good idea to let you battery go for as long as possible before charging it; Here is why:

Li-Ion batteries have a life expectancy of about 300 to 500 charges. Every time you charge your battery, you end a day in the life of that battery. So if you charge every day, you can expect your li-ion battery to last and work the same way for about a year. After that the battery life will drain much quicker until it simply does not work shortly after that. So with that in mind, If you use a car charger, and you leave you phone pluged into the car charger, everytime you start your car, you waste a day of the battery, and everytime you unplug it and plug it back in, you waste a day of the battery. So your battery will last even less than a year.