View Full Version : Are You a Developer?

David McNamee
04-19-2004, 02:08 AM
It seems that whenever I meet someone with a Smartphone, that person turns out to be a software developer. Maybe I just need to broaden my social circle :wink: I got to thinking about our Thoughts family - are you a developer, or just a normal gadget aficionado?

TANKERx
04-19-2004, 09:23 AM
This is reallyinteresting because it kind of ties in with what I was tyhinking the other day about another poll on this site which asked if Smartphone users had a PocketPC.

There, the majority of Smartphone users were also PocketPC owners (well, that was the case the last time I saw the poll results - I just can't find them now to check) which suggested to me then that either Microsoft still needs to break out of its mould and reach normal people by producing Smartphones which they can use (like Nokia does) or this site is only known about by PocketPC users.

I suspect the former is closer to the truth and maybe this observation of yours backs it up.... slightly.

What can Microsoft do to reach the masses? Will Microsoft ever sell a Smartphone to a fashion conscious teenager who doesn't know his (or her) SD card from a Bluetooth adapter?

freitasm
04-19-2004, 10:04 AM
That's right... Now, I'm not sure how to answer the poll. I'm a developer, but not for mobile devices. I work with mainframes (believe it or not :oops: )

Mike Temporale
04-19-2004, 01:26 PM
That's right... Now, I'm not sure how to answer the poll. I'm a developer, but not for mobile devices. I work with mainframes (believe it or not :oops: )

That's fine, it's still software development. Any software (unless it's Palm or Symbian) would count, regardless of the hardware. :lol: :wink:

TopDog
04-19-2004, 02:00 PM
I voted no because I don't really work as a developer, but I have my degree in software development, and are working as an IT technician, have been for the last 4 years... so I guess I'm really between Yes and No in this poll.

And I don't really know anyone outside the "IT-world" that owns AND uses a MS SmartPhone.

ShivShanks
04-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Well I too voted as a developer, though I'm not a mobile devices developer.

David McNamee
04-20-2004, 02:38 AM
Well I too voted as a developer, though I'm not a mobile devices developer.

That's fine. If you code, it counts :wink: