View Full Version : Locking Up Your Smartphone

Mike Temporale
04-16-2004, 05:30 PM
I was going to post this as a reply to Jason's earlier post regarding ZDNet's review of the MPx200 (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5347&highlight=). However by the time I finished writing out my thoughts, things had kind of morphed and I felt it might be better to take this to all of you.

Regardless of your gadget, lock ups and crashes are a common occurrence. I agree lock ups are a problem, whether or not Microsoft devices lock up more than others is another post all together. I am always reading about people having problems with their devices, but I never do! To-date I have not had a single lock up on my Smartphone. (or if I did it was so long ago that I have forgotten about it.) And with my Pocket PC, I have not reset it in over a month. Although, I would say on average it's once a month for resets with that. But that's only because of a bug that I have stumbled across, and I know better than to tap in that sequence. Occasionally I will forget and have to reset. My laptop? The only problems I have there are when the stupid touch-pad driver crashes and leaves me mouse-less. (way to go IBM :P ) Otherwise, I usually go 2-3 weeks without a reboot.<!>

I'm not saying that these devices don't lock up or crash. There are too many people with this complaint so there must be something wrong. I think a large part of the problem is poorly designed/coded third party applications. Since I don't install a whole lot of third party stuff I don't have the same issues. I'm not running a bare-bones device. I do have third party applications installed. Maybe not as many as others, but I do have some. ;)

So the first thing I want from all of you is this. How often does your Smartphone lock up or crash? Take the poll and let us know.

Second, Make my device lock up. Consider this a challenge to the community. I feel somewhat left out, and what to experience the joys of a lock up. :wink: Is there a certain order of events that causes your device to crash? I want to avoid the "download such and your device will crash." I'm not looking to "out" any software developers poor coding practices. What I want to hear is your devices crashes every time you do this, and you have these programs running when it happens. Sound good? Lets lock up my device!

TANKERx
04-17-2004, 08:58 AM
I've found that manually doing a reboot every other day keeps my phone from locking. It keeps the phone healthy and performing adequately.

Just my thought :-)

Mike Temporale
04-18-2004, 04:43 AM
Good point. I should mention that I almost never turn my phone off. I used to turn it off every night, but that stopped sometime during my T68i days. Now I only turn them off when I have to. Like in hospitals. ;)

The last time I turned my phone off, was last Saturday. So it's been a up and running for a full week.