View Full Version : a few ?? on smartphones, please help

wizardmaster2k
04-07-2004, 07:52 AM
hello, I have been a ppc user for a few years now, and have decided to get a smartphone or ppcpe devise. i have seen the mpx200, and think it is a good devise to get. I have never had a cell phone, so I have no contract with any provider. I would like to get this phone and use it under t mobile. i see they have a 29.99 plan, that is basic and will suit my needs. i know the phone is at&t locked, but i will get an unlocked version online. because i have no sim card and no previous service, what would i have to do to get it all set up. all i will have is the unlocked phone and other accessories... is it possible to hook it up? thanks

also, any other advise for future use would be appreciated.

Mike Temporale
04-07-2004, 01:33 PM
hello, I have been a ppc user for a few years now, and have decided to get a smartphone or ppcpe devise.

Just want to make sure you are aware that Smartphones do not have a touch screen and there is no Pocket Word/Excel. I'm not sure what your requirements are, but I want to make sure you are aware of that before you purchase a phone. :wink:

I have never had a cell phone, so I have no contract with any provider. I would like to get this phone and use it under t mobile. i see they have a 29.99 plan, that is basic and will suit my needs. i know the phone is at&t locked, but i will get an unlocked version online. because i have no sim card and no previous service, what would i have to do to get it all set up. all i will have is the unlocked phone and other accessories... is it possible to hook it up? thanks

If you have nothing right now, I would suggest you head down to T-Mobile (or which ever carrier you decide to use) and sign up for service. Usually they have a phone that is free (or really cheap, like $25) with new contracts. Take that phone. Currently their website lists the Samsung R225m as free. Then you have a SIM and a phone. :D When you decide what device you want, pop the SIM out of the free phone and into the device. This will leave you with a backup phone just in case.

I don't know anything about setting up the phone for T-mobile, but there are at least a few people around here that are using their smartphones on T-Mobile, and they should be able to help you out.