View Full Version : Smartphone Commercials Air in New Zealand

Mike Temporale
04-03-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.vodafone.co.nz/business/10.6_mobilise_video.jsp?video=smartdevices.mpg' target='_blank'>http://www.vodafone.co.nz/business/10.6_mobilise_video.jsp?video=smartdevices.mpg</a><br /><br /></div>I'm sure that we all have heard about the i-mate being sold in New Zealand, but have you seen the commercials? This is Vodafone's commercial from their Mobilise campaign and is focused around the i-mate Smartphone, but there are a couple shots of the i-Mate Pocket PC PE. It's nice to see some carriers are actively pushing the Smartphones. For the Smartphone to succeed we need to see a lot more of these.

Kevin Daly
04-04-2004, 12:03 AM
The only thing that worries me about that campaign is that it reminds me a bit of some of the advertising for WAP phones a few years ago when I was working in Europe: people were told that they could "surf the web" on a WAP phone, which was not true (since the internet is not the web, for a start).
Similarly, when people unfamiliar with the technology are told it runs Windows and Outlook...well, they may find what they actually get to be something of a disappointment.
Additionally, they may think "Windows=Complicated!!".

But then I worry too much.

Mike Temporale
04-04-2004, 03:49 AM
Additionally, they may think "Windows=Complicated!!".

But then I worry too much.

Really? Windows is complicated? I don't tend to think so. Linux is complicated. (I have many versions of both on various machines) With linux you have to worry about stuff like compiling the kernel. With Windows you just set auto-update to run automatically and you're done. Which would you rather see your parents run on their home computer?

I don't want to get into an OS debate. Both OS's have their +'s and -'s. So I'll move to my next point about you worrying too much. ;) Advertising is a huge driving force in selling any product. VHS vs Beta, or whatever. The winner isn't always the best product. Advertising helps get your name out to the buying public, and that's a big factor. With more advertising more people are familiar with your product and will look for it when they are shopping. I'm not say you shouldn't worry, but advertising is good, and with more ad's like this, we'll see the install base grow!

Kevin Daly
04-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Mike: I did not mean that Windows is complicated (I don't think it is, and certainly Linux is still far more so. On the other hand I'm a programmer and my views on OS complexity shouldn't be trusted).
However, I think that many people see any computer operating system as complicated, or at least they see computers as complicated, and therefore by extension anything they know to be associated with computers. That was my concern.

For what it's worth, I spent part of last weekend having loads of fun writing a Smartphone 2003 client for the Amazon.com web services, and if I could afford it (all reasonable offers from decent employers accepted) I'd buy one of those devices tomorrow.

Mike Temporale
04-04-2004, 05:12 AM
However, I think that many people see any computer operating system as complicated, or at least they see computers as complicated, and therefore by extension anything they know to be associated with computers. That was my concern.

Oh! Ya, I can't argue with that.

if I could afford it (all reasonable offers from decent employers accepted) I'd buy one of those devices tomorrow.

Price is definitely a limiting factor. On the plus side, they are no more expensive than the competition. In fact the MPx200 was very reasonable on price (with a contract), and hopefully we will see more of this in the future.

Kris Kumar
04-04-2004, 05:48 AM
30 sec Advt cant do justice to these phones...

They need to have Webisodes like this one, Seinfeld and Superman advertising for www.americanexpress.com

http://www.jerry.digisle.tv/room.html

Mike Temporale
04-04-2004, 12:56 PM
They need to have Webisodes like this one, Seinfeld and Superman advertising for www.americanexpress.com

http://www.jerry.digisle.tv/room.html

:rotfl: That was good.

It would be nice to see commercials like that or at that level, but as a start this is a good start. And 30 clips fit nicely into the TV schedule. It's rare that you see commercials that are any longer on TV. I would guess that TV provides a larger audience and catches people a little better than web. With webisodes you have to get people to the site to watch it.

brntcrsp
04-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Patrick Warburton (voice of Superman) is THE BEST voice actor for dry delivery I have ever heard. It doesn't hurt that his physical appearance resembles that of a super hero either. He starred as The Tick of the ill-fated live-action TV show of the same name. He always manages to make me chuckle.

possmann
04-05-2004, 03:59 PM
:lol: !

Isn't he also "putty" on the Seinfeld series? :lol: I love that guy!

brntcrsp
04-05-2004, 04:30 PM
:lol: !

Isn't he also "putty" on the Seinfeld series? :lol: I love that guy!

Yup, a quick IMDB returns him as "Seinfeld" (1990) TV Series .... David Puddy (1995-1998)