View Full Version : Mapopolis

Santa Fe
03-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Well I'm trying the beta version of Mapopolis for Smartphones. Available at http://64.208.105.215/index.jsp?s=1079206969015610&p=&q=20992.175215633648

I had to do the registry fix from Samsung to make it work with my i600.

It seems a well thought out program with a useful user interface and not much of a learning curve is required. It even found my rural NM address which most mapping programs have some difficulty with. Sure it is limited by the fact that our phones don't have a way to access a GPS signal but it is very handy for finding your way around on foot in unfamilar surroundings (cowboy doesn't go to town too much). And the maps are reasonably priced. More later if anyone is interested.

encece
03-14-2004, 12:09 AM
When I get my e200 working, I'm gonna get a BT GPS Receiver!
Mapopolis is a pretty cool app!

Santa Fe
03-14-2004, 02:58 AM
As a test I've tried it in my local area and it works very well. I can live without the GPS feature. I have business in Chicago, Denver and Phoenix and you can bet that when I'm trying to walk from location to location this software is going to be in my phone. The ability to navigate to addresses in your contact list is really neat. Great software deserves our support. I recommend trying it if you travel beyond your favorite routes.

spg
03-14-2004, 03:35 AM
Looks like a pretty cool app. While I don't see it as something I would use alot, it could be useful for situations where I'm in unfamiliar territory. I don't have an SD card for my Mpx200 at the moment, so I don't have room to install it yet. How easy are the maps to read, does it really show enough of the map at once to be useful?

Kris Kumar
03-14-2004, 04:13 AM
I am pretty impressed with the app..its a killer app...I agree with Santa Fe, this app needs our support, hence this feedback from me...

- Its fast (zoom in and out). When I saw the 3MB CAB I thought it would be a hog, but its the zippiest Smartphone app I have seen.
- Shows the nearby Points of Interests like restaurants etc
- Well thought out UI and navigation controls
- The Find Address feature works better than my Pocket PC Socket BT solution. Recognizes more streets.
- Auto Complete for Find Address, as you punch in letters for the street, its starts picking up the matching streets (best part for Streets that begins with East/West/North/South prefix, you dont have to worry about entering it in, just the street and it shows all the permutations).

However, I feel...
- I will still prefer Pocket PC for the in car navigation.
- Also it seems, because of the small screen, this tool is handy if you know the city in general (like the main streets, freeways etc), and when you search for address, you can then quickly identify how to get there by relating the location with a known street, otherwise you will be doing a lot of scrolling and can get lost because of limited view. But Mapopolis have a done a great job in terms of zoom in and out etc.

I could have never thought I can use a Mapping tool on Smartphone's small screen, but this program has changed my mindset.

I have done some work with Microsoft's Web based Mappoint Service and had found it tough to zoom in and out. Also the web based interface was slow. Downloading Maps etc. Mapopolis, since it has the maps on the phone, is naturally fast and usable.

Wish my phone had BT, so that I could try the navigation.

Overall...I rate it as a must have app on the phone..I dont like to have lots of apps on the phone...and the phone is 'always' with me, this one is a life saver..I am house hunting, so it came in useful for every single address, since I know most of the main streets in the city, dont need navigation but still need a firm location map, and this one has impressed me and my friends a lot.

Kris

gpspassion
03-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Don't want to plug my site or anything, but feel free to put some feedback in the beta section of the Mapopolis forums here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=18 - a good way to help make it better!