View Full Version : Clamshell vs. Candy-Bar

Mike Temporale
03-12-2004, 07:00 PM
I have never owned a clamshell style phone. I just can’t bring myself to buy one. I know this is kind of crazy, and maybe I’m not 100% upstairs, but it is all because of Motorola and the MicroTac flip phone they release in the early 90’s. I saw so many of those break that it scared me for life. I’m sure the hinges are stronger and better quality now than in yester-year. However, I just don’t trust them. I’m a candy-bar man. I like the idea that there are no moving parts on my gadgets. Nothing to wear down and break from excessive use. I don’t have to flip the phone to answer it, nor do I have to flip the phone to see what reminder just went off. Candy-bar all the way, baby! :rock on dude!: I’m sure everyone here has seen a broken clamshell, but have you ever seen a broken candy-bar style? I don't think so.

greenmozart
03-12-2004, 07:32 PM
I was actually interviewed by a WSJ reporter as to my preference last year for an article she was working on. I don't believe it was ever published. I'm a clamshell ONLY fan. I've used both and hated having to use key lock to prevent the phone from accidentally dialing my contacts at random times, especially when driving in my car with the phone still holstered to my belt. I once left a long message on my aunt's answering machine without knowing it because my wide rear-end pushed the keypad against the seatbelt clasp while I was driving!

The hinges I've used have always been top-notch so I'm not worried about moving parts breaking. Plus I like that the internal screen is protected from scratches that limit the useful life of the device I use every day. Also, fiddling with pressing a button to answer a call instead of being able to just use a flip-of-the-wrist-Star-Trek-tri-corder-type motion to answer a call is too laborious for me.

encece
03-12-2004, 07:33 PM
The biggest benefits of clamshells to me are:
1) generally smaller in the pocket.
2) built in screen protection.

Other than that....it's all about features for me.

Jason Dunn
03-12-2004, 07:42 PM
I prefer clamshell as well - protects the screen, no need to lock the keys, instant answer when you open it...all benefits to me! :-)

Macguy59
03-12-2004, 08:37 PM
I've had a clam shell styled phone for 5 years and have not had a single problem with the hinge. The biggest draw for me is that when open it actually reaches from my ear to my mouth. Something that the candybar style does not plus not protection for the screen.

TANKERx
03-12-2004, 10:25 PM
I have my first clamshell phone now and it's Ok, I like it. Don't know which I prefer though because the Candy Bar offers more flexibility in that I don't have top open it with my chin (if I have only one hand free).

But the clamshell is snazzy, safe and small.

ShivShanks
03-12-2004, 10:42 PM
I’m sure everyone here has seen a broken clamshell

Huh?! Actually I have never seen a broken clamshell phone. I'm wondering actually if you are one of the few who has actually seen broken clamshell hinges :) There is nothing wrong with a well engineered hinge. How many times have you seen your door hinge break? Unless of course you are battering it towards that purpose.
With an external LCD a clamshell phone offers a lot of benefits over the candy bar ones like protecting keys and screen, smaller size, more confortable feel while talking into it, flip to talk, bigger screen estate possible etc etc. A candy bar with the need to unlock the keys is more of a hassle I feel. But then to each his own I guess, but so far the clamshell is winning :D

Mike Temporale
03-13-2004, 02:59 AM
I'm getting smoked! I thought it would be a much closer race. :?

I'm wondering actually if you are one of the few who has actually seen broken clamshell hinges :)

Ya, you may just be right. Okay, you flip-phone-freaks :wink: ; when a candy-bar rings I can look at the number/name and if I don't want to talk to that person I can press the hangup key and the call will be forwarded to voice mail or the ringer will be silenced. How can one do this with a flip phone?

ARW
03-13-2004, 03:52 AM
I'm getting smoked! I thought it would be a much closer race. :?

Ya, you may just be right. Okay, you flip-phone-freaks :wink: ; when a candy-bar rings I can look at the number/name and if I don't want to talk to that person I can press the hangup key and the call will be forwarded to voice mail or the ringer will be silenced. How can one do this with a flip phone?

Well...with a properly produced flip you can do this via the external display. Unfortunately Msft/Samsung/VZW can't accomplish this, so yes, the clamshell does have an advantage over the i600.

This aside, I'm a clamshell person primarily because of the compactness of the device and the protected nature of the screen and keypad when closed for transport.

If VZW would just get their act together I'll bet i600 could have their cake and eat it too...

TANKERx
03-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Okay, you flip-phone-freaks :wink: ; when a candy-bar rings I can look at the number/name and if I don't want to talk to that person I can press the hangup key and the call will be forwarded to voice mail or the ringer will be silenced. How can one do this with a flip phone?

Check out the name of the person on the LCD and if you don't want to speak to them, tap the 'Record' button twice and the call goes stright to the Answerphone.

Malte
03-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Agreeing with all the flip-fans above. Another cool thing is the element of surprise. It can look like any ol' boring phone until You flip it open to reveal the beautiful, feature-rich and powerful Windows OS.

maxnix
03-13-2004, 10:47 PM
I'm with Jason Dunn, byteme, encece, tankerx.

Never have seen broken hinges. I have seen and heard candy bar phones triggered on in purses and pockets.

maxnix
03-13-2004, 10:50 PM

Never have seen broken hinges. I have seen and heard candy bar phones triggered on in purses and pockets.
And greenmozart.

Any idea why there is no edit button? Could this forum's layout be much less user friendly?

Didn't think so. :roll:

maxnix
03-13-2004, 10:52 PM

And greenmozart.

Any idea why there is no edit button? Could this forum's layout be much less user friendly?

Didn't think so. :roll:

Oh, the edit button is a dud? On second thought, Modaco is the worst fromat I have ever seen.

spg
03-14-2004, 03:41 AM
Well, I'm with what seems to be the majority here... clamshell all the way. My reasons are about the same as encece, built in screen protection and smaller form factor for the pocket. I could be convinced to get a candy-bar style phone though, if the features were right.

As for being able to see who is calling, I don't have mine (Mpx200) answer on open. So it rings, I can see the name on the outside of the phone, or open up and see the name, number, and photo.

Mike Temporale
03-14-2004, 04:10 AM
As for being able to see who is calling, I don't have mine (Mpx200) answer on open.

This is configurable? Cool.

Okay, you flip-phone-freaks :wink: ; when a candy-bar rings I can look at the number/name and if I don't want to talk to that person I can press the hangup key and the call will be forwarded to voice mail or the ringer will be silenced. How can one do this with a flip phone?

Check out the name of the person on the LCD and if you don't want to speak to them, tap the 'Record' button twice and the call goes stright to the Answerphone.

So you can blow off a call without opening the phone?! Maybe it's time I try a clamshell. I'll have to see if I can borrow a friends flip for a test run before I put down any money on one.

As for screen protection, I have never had a problem with any of my candybar phones screens. However, I do tend to keep my phone in a seperate pocket from other things. :D

gadfly
03-14-2004, 09:05 AM
I went from a T68i to a MPx200 and thought I would not like a clamshell phone but now would not go back to a candy bar. Here's why:

1) A proper clamshell has an external display and does not need to be opened to find out who is calling.
2) Better fit for ear/mouth once opened.
3) No random pocket dialing which I experianced even when using a "locked" candy bar. (albeit a T68i which had a known issue)
4) The Star Trek effect. "Kirk Here"

BTW - I work at Best Buy and we NEVER (okay maybe sometimes) but SELDOM ever see issues with the hindge mechanism failing. Most common cell phone issues: won't turn on or display does not function. I evaluate about five broken phones per day.

Shane

spg
03-15-2004, 03:22 AM
4) The Star Trek effect. "Kirk Here"
I glad to know I'm not the only one. Beam me up Scotty! :)

ekkie
03-15-2004, 04:42 PM
BTW - I work at Best Buy and we NEVER (okay maybe sometimes) but SELDOM ever see issues with the hindge mechanism failing. Most common cell phone issues: won't turn on or display does not function. I evaluate about five broken phones per day.
Yeah, but my question would be if the display is at all related to the hinge? I've had two clamshell designed phones stop working b/c of the display and it all comes back to the moving parts. Have never had a display issue with the candybar style phones.

POST EDIT: if you all see this... the edit button on this forum is working just fine..

Jason Dunn
03-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Oh, the edit button is a dud? On second thought, Modaco is the worst fromat I have ever seen.

Hey there, slow down with the criticisms of our forums, ok? 8O If you have a problem, it's best to contact an administrator rather than going off topic in a thread.

The edit button should work just fine, and phpBB is one of the most popular forum packages out there, so it shouldn't be that unusual to you. Exactly what is happening when you click on the edit button? This is the first report I've heard of it not working.

Everyone else, are you seeing this same problem?

Jerry Raia
03-15-2004, 06:07 PM
I have had 3 Star Tacs in the past, on two of them the hinges broke. My current i600 seems to be much sturdier. In any case by the time the phones I had broke it was time to get the next new thing anyway :)

ekkie
03-15-2004, 06:51 PM
The edit button should work just fine, and phpBB is one of the most popular forum packages out there, so it shouldn't be that unusual to you. Exactly what is happening when you click on the edit button? This is the first report I've heard of it not working.

I just now tested this with my post previous to yours (see the edit on my post).

Works JUST fine!!

Jerry Raia
03-15-2004, 07:14 PM

Works great for me. I use it all the time because I cant type or spell :lol:

gadfly
03-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Yeah, but my question would be if the display is at all related to the hinge? I've had two clamshell designed phones stop working b/c of the display and it all comes back to the moving parts. Have never had a display issue with the candybar style phones.

Good point. This is very true of laptops which suffer a similar problem due to the video connection cable getting worn out. I would imagine the same would be true of clamshell phones as well but have never noticed a higher incident of display failure compared to candy bars phones. Every model seems to have an "Achillies Heal" like the antenna on the V60 and the volume switch on the T68i.

Shane

spg
03-16-2004, 06:12 AM
As for being able to see who is calling, I don't have mine (Mpx200) answer on open.

This is configurable? Cool.
Yup... if you look in the "Phone Settings" on the MPx200, there is a flip answer option in there. Pretty nice.

Jerry Raia
03-16-2004, 06:14 AM
Same on the i600.

refnulf
05-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Candy bar fan here, but looks like I might be owning a few clam shell phones in the near future :)