View Full Version : Why MS Hasn't Taken Over Cell Phones--Yet

Mike Temporale
02-25-2004, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7296_16-5123176.html' target='_blank'>http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7296_16-5123176.html</a><br /><br /></div>"If Microsoft is so invincible, why hasn't it sold more phones running the company's Windows Mobile Smartphone OS? After years of development and even a few years on the worldwide market there are, at this moment, precisely two such models available in the U.S.: the Motorola MPx200 and the Samsung i600. Globally, the Microsoft Web site shows only nine MS-powered Smartphones available. I know there are a bunch more. But, whatever the specific number, the average customer still has a hard time finding a phone with Microsoft inside. "<br /><br />If you ignore the Flame-Bait (TalkBack) section, ZDNet can have some pretty good articles. David Coursey makes some interesting analysis of the current mobile phone market. He even admits to not using his MPx200 to it's full potential. He's never used the wire-less email or internet. 8O That's one of the first things I played with. :D

ShivShanks
02-26-2004, 07:23 AM
"After years of development and even a few years on the worldwide market there are, at this moment, precisely two such models available in the U.S.: the Motorola MPx200 and the Samsung i600.

I don't know where he's getting the "few years on the market" bit from (It's been more like close to a year plus) but he's right about the limited availability part. Microsoft seriously needs to get more devices in the market with more operators and manufacturers (in the US at least). Right now the only realistic win is the AT&T/Motorola/GSM combination (and who knows what Cingular will do with that). The CDMA offering is a bit weak in terms of the phone offered (okay but too pricey) and the # of operators (just Verizon). The US is after all CDMA majority territory so it would make natural sense to do more in that market. Come on Microsoft do something in the CDMA market also! And Samsung needs to get off its fear of Microsoft and commit to a platform with good future potential. Shame on you Samsung, look at what cool things Motorola is doing. After being a harbinger of cool phones in the US look where you are now. The Motorola MPx is one seriously cool device. I never realised it was possible to make a two way flipping phone like that!

TANKERx
02-26-2004, 10:20 AM
I think it's possible that the reason Microsoft is lagging behind in Cellphones is that they're concentrating on the Enterprise Market. They don't promote their products as being fun, and even though there are 'fun' applications out there, other platforms such as Symbian as so much simpler to use and to get straight into.

Until Microsoft starts concentrating on normal people and making Smartphones easy for normal people to use (not geeks who like to tweak and configure and modify), their phones will be like their PDAs, in use only by those who like technology.

Many people buy a mobile phone out of necessity, they resent having to buy one but do it because they feel they need to and so they will buy one that promises cool and fun features but also be easy to use. To me, an MPx200 user at the moment, that can only be a Symbian phone (or maybe Palm, but I've not used a Treo so I can't say).

Kris Kumar
02-26-2004, 01:49 PM
precisely two such models available

I dont think the author is taking into consideration the fact that
1. Microsoft is trying to get into an area where it has no foothold and experience. Its software empire was not built overnight !!
2. Unlike Software and Xbox, Microsoft is not directly manufacturing these phones, it is at the mercy of the carriers and also manufacturers.
3. Politics, for a long time, no one wanted to partner with Microsoft for the fear of Microsoft domination. That may still be true. But Motorola has been a welcome (much needed) ally.
4. And also that the phones are geared towards a more vertical market (high end of the market, with users needing powerful data capable phones). Unlike Symbian which has a variety of models and addresses different segments.

I personally like to bash Microsoft also, but this article has the lamest reasons. The one thing that did come out in the article was that people buying phones dont look for its OS. The phones are marketed under carrier names, not even the manufacturer names, and OS rarely mentioned. Anyway the rare segment (ie us) that does ask, prefers MS.

Kris

possmann
02-26-2004, 04:02 PM
I have to agree with the following quote from the article:

But at some point, Microsoft believes cellular handsets will be as generic as desktop PCs have become. And then it will be the software that makes you want to buy one or the other. With its developer tools and close ties to all the other Microsoft software out there, Microsoft is counting on a win.

I think that over time - especially with the pocketpc OS, we should be looking at the phone as how we look at a computer now - being able to choose hardware options (faster processor, more memory, better screen etc...) kinda like how we buy a PC now. We tailor the hardware to what our needs are - and the software just runs the applications within the phone. That, for me, would be nirvana!

I do agree that even for Symbian, their proliferation of the OS marketplace did not happen overnight and they were at this years before MS started to develop the Smartphone OS. They have the advantage of time - much like Palm did - but unlike Palm, I think Symbian will remain on the cutting edge of development which will continue to give MS a run for it's money.

Interesting article - it also shows that we have become a society that is too quick to dismiss something new as a failure without remembering that it takes time and trails to build :roll: