View Full Version : Any Bluetooth stereo headset recommendations?

Philip Colmer
01-22-2012, 03:32 PM
I've got a Windows Phone and I'm looking to get a stereo Bluetooth headset. Criteria are that it should allow me to use my own earbuds, control music playback and make/receive telephone calls.

Products I've considered include:

* Nokia BH-214: there are reports on Amazon that the volume control is fiddly and it isn't a "spring-loaded" clip - just plastic that you have to force apart.
* Jabra Clipper: very mixed reviews from Amazon customers.
* Jabra BT3030: not entirely won over on the whole dog-tag approach but it does come with a clip that can be used instead.

I quite like the look of the Sony Ericsson MW-600 which, according to an Amazon review, can display song titles and incoming telephone numbers, both of which sound potentially useful if the phone is tucked deep inside a jacket.

Anyone got any recommendations or comments on the above possibles, particularly from the perspective of using with Windows Phone?

Thanks.

Philip

Sven Johannsen
01-23-2012, 05:25 PM
noting that you have a Windows Phone, be cautious about the stated capabilities. Not sure the song title stuff will work due to the very limited BT stack on Windows Phones. Also, are you aware that sound will not go over BT if you are watching any sort of video. Worse yet, it will revert back to the speaker if you switch from music to video while connected to BT.

Philip Colmer
01-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the word of caution. At the moment, it looks like the Sony is my favourite so I will take what functionality I can get from the phone and, if it is lacking, hope that MS improve the stack with future versions.

Philip

Sven Johannsen
01-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Had you considered any of the 'convertible' types, like
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Premium-Cancelling-Bluetooth-Adapters/dp/B003XRZXP4/ref=pd_cp_cps_2

I have such a Samsung, and you can use it as a pure headset, or use their headphones (in-ear, not bad) OR they have an adapter which supports a 3.5mm stereo plug. Wasn't sure if you were really only wanting for audio (plus phone) or would enjoy the occaisional just headset experience. I think mine is the Modus HM6450, but the pictures for it don't show all the options as well.

Philip Colmer
01-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Interesting - not come across that concept before. I wanted the headset for both music and calls. So I'm not worried about the issues with video, etc. It really is just for when I'm out walking or cycling.

I've ordered the SE headset now. You never know ... I might find the type to write a review about it ... that might please Jason ;-).

Philip