View Full Version : I600 loaded for bear vs. i700?

mrradio
02-15-2004, 04:21 AM
Currently on a 15 day trial with VzW with an i700, and it certainly has it all. But the form factor is just on the edge of a bit big.

I got to wondering how an i600 loaded up with Splash Photo, Mobi Reader and a note program, would stack up? Would lack a camera of course.

The no stylus handling looks pretty intuiative but I'm wondering if it is problematic for old stylus users like me.

Also, there seems to be some issue whether Mobi Pocket ebook reader is ready to go? Perhaps the "fix" mentioned in a recent thread resolves the "manual file installation" mentioned at mobi site?

I read a lot of ebooks and it is GREAT to see a hi res 16 bit display again on the i700. Althouth it seems it shouldn't matter, the 160x240, 8 bit on the i330 actually made my eyes tired pretty quickly.

I'm trying to determine how crisp and easy on the eyes to read an ebook would look on the 176x220, 16 bit display.

Would really appreciate the thoughts of anyone else who's been down this same road...do I want form factor (i600) or full bore function (i700)?

I don't do many power apps, no web browsing, seldom listen to mp3, no email from phone. Frankly routine business phone calls, ebook reading and looking at pics of my twins are my biggest uses.

Camera would tie in well with my company web site, it is picture heavy, but not a neccessity.

Macguy59
02-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Which is more important to you? Cell phone usage or PDA usage? The i700 is really a PPC that has phone capability whereas the i600 is a cell phone with some PPC functionality. I got the i600 with the intention of becoming a 1 device person rather then carrying 2 or sometimes 3 seperate devices. But after a month I decided that the i600 would not be able to handle all of my needs and have gone back to carrying a seperate PDA (iPAQ 5455) and the Samsung. I will say that if MS were to give me a native spreadsheet solution and Avantgo provide a smartphone version of it's software I just might be able to go it alone with i600. Getting used to keypad navigation wasn't difficult but text entry is downright painful, so I opted for the waterproof/rollable keyboard. (The same one the i700 uses)

Skitals
02-15-2004, 11:41 PM
I have an i600, and no pocket pc... after being a pocket pc owner since the first ipaq. The switch to one hand, no stylus action was VERY welcomed. Plus I can type faster with t9 then i ever could with a stylus. Not only is the i600 smaller then the i700 or any other ppc, but the clam shell form factor means its protected, so you dont need to worry about it in your pocket... something i always did when carrying a pocket pc. This makes it that much easier to carry even if they were the same size.

Now I haven't used my i600 for ebooks, and never did much with any of my pocket pcs. I think its obvious a pocket pc would be better for reading just because it can fit more on the screen. But do you really need a huge pocket pc phone just to make phone calls, read ebooks and look at a few pictures? If I was in your shoes, i think I would just get a regular small cell phone, and a low end (small) pocket pc.

I realize then you are carrying two device again... but i dont think its worth having to carry around a huge phone all the time. When I run to the store quick, I want to carry my phone with me... but I know I'm not going to be using any of the PDA functions. This is when the i600 is great, because its no different then tossing any other phone in your pocket. I wouldnt want to carry an i700 everywhere i go. I would tell you just get the i600, but it defnitely wasnt designed for reading ebooks and looking at pics... although it can.

mrradio
02-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Debating between the i700 I have on trial and maybe an i600 is truly turning out to be mind wracking.

On the downside, the i600 has no camera, which would be convenient for my company website but not a neccity, and also is fairly lo res. I wonder how a book would look on it's 176x226 vs the 160x240 on my old i330.

However, it looks great, feels great, and more important, the location of the 4-way at least for me is extremely comfortable and intuiative. This compared to 4 way and other placement on the i700 which is very awkward for me even after 5 days practice.

I NEVER have a need to check email or read or edit documents on the road and only rarely do data input, say a note. i700 big time overkill in this regard.

BTW are certain smartphone buttons remapple like certain PPC buttons?

ARRGHHHH!!! I'm worse than a woman picking out a wedding dress.

Skitals
02-17-2004, 11:50 PM
You can set any of the keypad buttons on the i600 to be a speed dial or to launch any app (by holding down for like 2 seconds).