View Full Version : Introducing "Calling Card Application" CCDialer v1.5

Kris Kumar
02-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi,

I wrote this simple application that enables you to use Calling Cards on your Smartphones.

If you call International Numbers (Long Distance) from your Smartphone and you wanted to use Calling Cards, this is the program. It stores your calling card details (number + pin) and it also stores your frequently dialed Long Distance Contact Numbers. And using a simple UI now you can dial those Contacts.

Check it out here.
http://krishnakumar.com/Main/Extra/CCDialer/CCDialer.htm

This app is currently not integrated with the Pocket Outlook. Next version will. (Its an app that I wrote in my spare time, for personal use. But I see that some people might find it useful.)

Currently it reads all the information from a Text File. So there is some basic configuration/setup requirement. But once done, it is a breeze to use. Also with this program you dont have to store concatenated numbers in your Outlook. Which kind off made the Outlook messy, and also changing the Calling Card info was tough, once you put in the info. Not anymore.

This is an un-signed app. Its Free :-)

Post your feedback and comments here.

Thanks
Kris

EDIT: CCDialer version 2.0 BETA is now available. Check it out over here. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74322#74322) The new version requires .NET CF, therefore is compatible with Windows Mobile 2003 SE and Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphones.

Users having Windows Mobile 2002 Smartphones should either upgrade their Smartphones [;-)], or stick with the CCDialer v1.5.

TANKERx
02-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Top man!

If you release a version that integrates with Contacts, I'll buy a copy!

Mike Temporale
02-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Cool App! I have a calling card that I should be using more often, however it's just too awkward. This will be very handy, especially once you have outlook integration!
:beer:

Oh, and I like your website. Great job on those pictures. Some of them are really nice. :way to go:

Kris Kumar
02-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks Mike for posting this on the main page.

I wish I had released this app early...Writing an app is one thing. Setting up a web page for download and documenting it is pain. And the documentation part made me lazy.

I am impressed with the feedback I have received in the few hours. So I shall be working on Outlook Integration - Version 2.0. All I need is coffee and a few late nights.

Kris

PS: Hoping that in the long run, this (and some other apps I have in mind) will fund my expensive toys and photography hobby.

Macguy59
02-11-2004, 08:36 PM
I must be thinking of a different calling card because this is flying right over my head. When I hear calling card I think of PrePaid Phone cards and if that's the case what possible benefit is derived from using one with a cell phone?

Mike Temporale
02-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Calling Cards are the same as PrePaid cards, just not prepaid. So I get a monthly bill for using my calling card. It's usually connected with your home phone, or your long distance provider.

Macguy59
02-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Calling Cards are the same as PrePaid cards, just not prepaid. So I get a monthly bill for using my calling card. It's usually connected with your home phone, or your long distance provider.

I'm still confused then. Are you not still using your cell minutes for the duration of the call?

Mike Temporale
02-11-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm still confused then. Are you not still using your cell minutes for the duration of the call?

Yup. Unless you have unlimited minutes. Then it doesn't matter.

Macguy59
02-11-2004, 09:19 PM

Yup. Unless you have unlimited minutes. Then it doesn't matter.

Which brings me to the question of "What's the point then?"

Mike Temporale
02-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Well, in my case, I have unlimited minutes, but I pay for long distance calls. So I use (or should be using) a calling card which offers a cheaper rate and is all part of my long distance package.

There is also company calling cards, where the company supplies you with the phone and the card. They get a much better rate on long distance because they bundle all of it together on one account.

Macguy59
02-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Well, in my case, I have unlimited minutes, but I pay for long distance calls. So I use (or should be using) a calling card which offers a cheaper rate and is all part of my long distance package.

There is also company calling cards, where the company supplies you with the phone and the card. They get a much better rate on long distance because they bundle all of it together on one account.

Ok so your saying that for the purposes of your cell carrier when you use a calling card it's being billed as local or in-coverage?

Kris Kumar
02-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Byteme,

Major advantage is for people who call international numbers using the calling card. I call UK and India a lot, usually I have to use my home phone, but with this I can use my smartphone. Ofcourse I do pay for the wireless airtime, but I have a lot of minutes :-) Also the smartphone users in Europe will be benefited, because they call between countries a lot and have to use prepaid/calling cards.

And also as Mike said, people who dont have Long Distance on their cellphones can use this app. Most of the US cell phone providers have national plans, but then the few who dont will be benefited.

Kris

mhermeling
05-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Very cool, exactly what I was looking for. It would be much better indeed if you could dial directly from the contacts.

I am willing to help write anything that is needed to get it to work (O2 Xphone - SmartPhone 2003).

Enjoy,
Mark

Kris Kumar
05-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Very cool, exactly what I was looking for. It would be much better indeed if you could dial directly from the contacts.

I am willing to help write anything that is needed to get it to work (O2 Xphone - SmartPhone 2003).

Enjoy,
Mark

Thanks, Have to admit that I have been unable to complete the development on v2. The code to pull out the contact info has been written but the UI is not ready. Smartphone's with its small screens make it difficult for one to write UI, and one needs to at times nest multiple dialogs to get the job done.

On the 2003 (XPhone) : does my current application not work ? Does it not install or does it not run. And is your phone app unlocked?

I dont have 2003 phone, so have not tested it personally, but the app should work.

Thanks
Kris

radnorboy
05-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi, I'm a UK citizen living in the US and I call friends and family a couple of times a week and so the cost racks up quite a bit! I had tried a few phone cards before but had been disapointed with the quality. But a friend put me onto this new site called http://www.CheaperChat.com which has unbelievable low rates. So I purchased a $20 WorldWide prepaid phone card from this site and it is excellent! I call the UK at only 1.7c/min, and the quality of the connection is excellent!!! So I just had to let you all know as I have had trouble with phone cards in the past but this one is a really cheap reliable way to call home. This site also has some excellent rates to just about every country in the world!!! http://www.CheaperChat.com

vikochka
05-30-2006, 12:14 AM
My advice for people who making calls from US or Canada I use well known company Tel3Advantage (http://www.telthreeadvantage.com) No fee,tax,PIN.

zmanuel
06-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have a working download link for CCDialer? I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere.

Thank you

Kris Kumar
06-23-2006, 03:19 AM
To all the folks who are looking for this application - thanks and I sorry for my laziness. I will get the link active this weekend. :oops: And will also try to post the version 2.0 beta.

Meanwhile if you need the copy of the CAB, send me a PM.

Kris Kumar
07-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Folks, the download link for CCDialer v1.5 is now active again. Use this version of the application if you have Windows Mobile 2002 class device.

Also, the CCDialer v2.0 with Pocket Contact integration is now available. This version is recommended for users of Smartphones with Windows Mobile 2003 SE and Windows Mobile 5.0. For more information about this version, click here. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74322#74322)