View Full Version : P2P Telephony with WiFi & Smartphone?

dollysamson
02-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Has anybody looked at Skype? It is a windows app that does peer-to-peer telephony. It is a perfect app for a Smartphone with an SD WiFi card. Does anybody know if there is a P2P telephony app available for the Smartphone?

Dolly
Kauai, Hawaii

Mike Temporale
02-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Has anybody looked at Skype? It is a windows app that does peer-to-peer telephony. It is a perfect app for a Smartphone with an SD WiFi card. Does anybody know if there is a P2P telephony app available for the Smartphone?

Dolly
Kauai, Hawaii

Skype is a great application. However I have not seen anything of it's kind for the Smartphone. I haven't really been looking, so there may be something out there. :)

swbuehler
02-11-2004, 06:20 PM

This would be fine, if you can find a Smartphone that does Wi-Fi. You're not likely to easily find one, because of (a) battery life, and (b) defeats the purpose of having GPRS in the first place.

SWB

Mike Temporale
02-11-2004, 07:03 PM
and (b) defeats the purpose of having GPRS in the first place.

Except that WiFi is a lot cheaper than any GPRS rates I've seen. If I'm in my house and I already have highspeed internet and a WiFi router, VOIP on my mobile would be a great option.