View Full Version : For Students: Go to MDC

Robert Levy
02-08-2004, 12:34 AM
I got my start in the mobile devices community by going to various conferences during my freshman year of college (which was all the way back in 2001). I would go to these shows, shake hands, talk geek, collect business cards, and establish relationships with various people in this community. Over time those relationships grew and grew until Jason got me involved in this site and finally Microsoft asked me to take a sip of their Kool-Aid. Of course, it's tough to get in to conferences when you're struggling to pay for tuition. I literally begged to get in to "Pocket PC NY" and did manual labor for "Pocket PC Summit". I owe a lot to the people who were helped me out because their efforts have shaped my career.Getting to the point of this post, I'd like to give back now by encouraging my fellow students to join us at MDC and helping them do so. I don't have any freebies, but Microsoft does have something in place to <i>significantly </i>ease the financial burden on students who strive to be on the cutting edge. So if you're a student interested in going to MDC here's what you can do: Scan in your school ID (to prove that you are a student) and email it to me as an attachment with "MDC Academic" in the subject line. My address at work is <a href=mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]</a>. I'll send you back details on our student discount, instructions for taking advantage of it, and a request that you find me at the show to say hi.This year's MDC is going to be a ground breaking event and I look forward to seeing you there.

Gorskar
02-08-2004, 03:07 PM
I'd love to come, but am 1 year past being a student.

Still... could photoshop my last year's ID to add an extra year onto it :D

darren
02-08-2004, 03:34 PM
I got my start in the mobile devices community by going to various conferences during my freshman year of college (which was all the way back in 2001).

Wow... Sounds incredible!
I am also a college freshman, and also long for attending various conferences....:roll:

prismejon
02-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Wow! I'd really love to attend the MDC! Hopefully I'll be able to go next year; I'm planning to take the 4th year of my master at UCSB 8) . Any idea of where it will be held in 2005?

I definitely agree that these kinds of events are a great place for meeting people that you can learn a lot of. Actually some friends and I have started a .NET user group at my university, and we are going to a Microsoft seminar here in Trondheim (Norway) this week. We hope that we’ll be able to persuade some lecturers to come to our uni so that we can have a VS.NET workshop. I hope we’ll succeed! :D