View Full Version : Need Feedback About Starting A User Group

David McNamee
02-04-2004, 03:30 PM
I've been floating the idea of starting a Windows Mobile user group. When I read about the New Zealand UG (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35688), I decided to start being a little more serious about it. The group would meet regularly to discuss Pocket PC and Smartphone, and maybe dabble in other CE devices. I also thought it would be interesting to alternate the group's focus. Maybe odd months would be consumer-oriented and the even months would be developer topics.

What sort of things would you like to see in a user group? What would be most useful to you and keep you coming back? And would you even be interested in attending a user group meeting in your area?

possmann
02-04-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm a strong supporter of the mobile OS - and think that running around with the ability to remain or get connected to anything anytime from anywhere is GREAT.

As for me, what I would like to see out of a UG:

strong MS support in giving us a peek into the direction of the OS's - as we would have special benifits due to our interest in their OS we would be given, or allowed access to more information than they would normally release to the press. We would receive some sort of benifits from them as well - I'm not talking phones, but something that shows that they are ACTIVELY support the UG concept

webinars from OS developers or product manufacturers - soft and hardware developers talking about what is coming up and how best to use what is out there now

Opportunity to beta new products (hard and software) and provide feedback - assuming that the people in the UG are more fanatic than just the average Jane & Joe on the street

I think that covers the big 3 - Direction, Development and Use... Overall what I would be looking out of a User Group is the tools and service availble to me to enable me to become a super use of the OS.

my two cents...

Mike Temporale
02-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Opportunity to beta new products (hard and software) and provide feedback - assuming that the people in the UG are more fanatic than just the average Jane & Joe on the street

Beta, or at least sneak peak new products from Software/Hardware vendors.

As for benefits from MS, they tend to be very nice to local user groups. I know that for the local DotNet UG they supply the room, pop, and pizza. Along with the occasional software bundle, or t-shirt. This doesn't have to be limited to Microsoft. Other companies with an interest in the Windows Mobile landscape should be interested. Maybe even the local AT&T rep can show off the MPx200 and offer up some sort of prize.

Jason Dunn
02-04-2004, 07:30 PM
With the Calgary group, we started off with a simple "meet n' greet" at a local restaurant that had a private side room. It was a nice, low-key way to get started. Then we talked about what we'd like to see happen next - people are chatty over food. ;-)