View Full Version : infoSync Editorial: Smartphone Users Have it Good

Jason Dunn
01-17-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4503.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4503.html</a><br /><br /></div>"As a technology writer, I'm continually exposed to the latest gadgets. My main phones over the recent past have been smartphones and connected handhelds, from the O2 XDA through to the latest Treo 600 and SPV E200. However, I recently decided to investigate what was going on back in the 'normal' world of communication, and got myself a mobile phone - nothing more, nothing less. Although it's by no means dumb, it's not smart either, and this set me thinking about how the two categories could learn from each other. <br /><br />Mobile phones are drawing closer to smartphones, it has to be said. The latest handsets are loaded with high-resolution colour screens, proper audio capabilities, PIM suites, full e-mail support, add-on applications via Java, full connectivity through Bluetooth and media capabilities through cameras. In fact, the line is pretty blurred..."<br /><br />Have any of you ever made the switch back to a "dumb" phone for a while to see what it was like? When I switched back to using my T68i for a couple of weeks, my expectations for it immediately shifted down several notches - it was to be used for phone calls, and Bluetooth GPRS calls, nothing more. The phone is capable of more than that of course, but I treat it like the dumb phone that it is. ;-)

encece
01-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Becomming very frustrated with the i600's shortcomings, and after dropping and denting it, I decided to sell it to a friend while the selling was good.

I'm a huge fan of the Smartphone platform, and parting with the device was very difficult, but after having better Smartphones previously, it was equally as difficult to keep the device, knowing I could have better.

My obsession has grown over the past year to the point where I have been neglecting other obligations, so in the end, I decided to take a break until something better comes along. This could be a new Smartphone under Verizon (or possibly another carrier) or even a newer PocketPC phone with the promise of smaller form factor, such as the Lenovo ET560.

But during my wait, I decided to get the LG VX-6000 under Verizon. As a phone, it's really nice. I was able to import my phone numbers from Outlook. Brew apps/games are kinda cool. The built in camera has already shown itself to be very useful. Their WAP Portal has many useful sites for information. The phone functions are superior such And the form-factory is nice and small and lightweight with a cool LED Caller ID screen on the outside that shows the time, date, as well as missed messages and voicemails.

But I already used a Smartphone, so there is also alot to give up.

With the VX-6000, MP3s have been replaced by crappy MIDI files.

Video is non-existent.

Outlook synchronization is cumbersome at best and I need to use a web version of the calendar, totally ignoring my built in Scheduler program.

Brew games and applications are over-rated, and OVERPRICED. The calendar program that I am using, REMO, costs $6.00 per month as it requires a subscription to use.

I am also stuck with using this same program to retrieve email messages as there is no built in email client.

The MS Smartphone platform is still in it's early days, probably in it's early teens in a human year comparison. But it's a hell of alot better than the standard old "dumb" phones out there.

Something better than the i600 will come along. Hopefully soon! Until then, I have very weak replacement....but it will make my next Smartphone seem that much better.