View Full Version : Smartphone 2003 Upgrade for i600?

Robert Levy
01-11-2004, 10:46 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/samsung_to_upgrade_the_i600_to_smartphone_2003.php' target='_blank'>http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/samsung_to_upgrade_the_i600_to_smartphone_2003.php</a><br /><br /></div>Gizmodo is on location at CES and posted this interesting story today: <i>"When we asked Samsung about this at CES, we were told that they have an i600 with Smartphone 2003 in the works and that it should be ready soon."</i><br /><br />It's great to hear that they have 2003 running on the i600 but let's make one thing clear... just because an upgrade exists does not mean it will be made available to the public. Typically, it is the responsibility for the mobile operator (Verizon in this case) to deploy upgrades and it is quite common for them to simply decide not to do so. Why? Here are three of the many possible business reasons: 1) In the short term, it is more profitable to sell new devices instead of software upgrades. 2) Customers may extend their contracts in exchange for a subsidized price on a new device - and those service contracts are where operators make their real money. 3) Releasing an OS upgrade requires extensive testing, re-training, and logistical challenges - it's a very expensive move and operators may decide that money is better spent on getting a newer, fancier hardware on to the market and getting customers to upgrade to the latest hardware instead of just software.<br /><br />That said, I have no idea what Verizon is planning. I personally hope (as I'm sure everyone else agrees) that Smartphone 2003 is made available to i600 owners and this announcement is a good step in that direction. But let's not get our hopes up just yet.

encece
01-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Except for the VOX is there any "possible" CDMA smartphones on the horizon?

Verizon better offer an upgrade since up until now they have not offered ANY support for the phone in terms of updates. Compared to Orange in the UK, Verizon is leaving their smartphone customers in the lurch as far as support goes.

Skitals
01-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Being an i600 owner i hope that this rumor comes true :) Verizon... it is worth your time and effort to make this update a reality.

encece
01-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Ouch. :D

encece
01-13-2004, 02:26 AM
Sorry, dont know why I mentioned the VOX...It's GSM.
Maybe just wishful thinking since Sierra Wireless makes both CDMA and GSM devices.