View Full Version : The Apprentice

Robert Levy
01-07-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm taking a break from my academic career as a <a href="http://www.se.rit.edu">Software Engineering</a> student at <a href="http://www.rit.edu">Rochester Institute of Technology</a> and, for the next 3 months, will be interning at Microsoft as a <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/college/intern/pm.asp">Program Manager</a> in the Mobile Devices Product Group. Specifically, my role involves working on the Pocket PC and Smartphone SDKs (which is what 3rd party developers use to create applications for the Windows Mobile platform). For those who watched our coverage of the numerous things announced at PDC, you know that this is a truly exciting time to be in such a position. And for those familiar with the weather in Rochester, you know that this is the perfect time of year to move far far away. 8) My week began with New Employee Orientation where, after taking care of paperwork, we were briefed about policies and benefits. Then Bill Gates came in to give a speech and do Q&amp;A (what an awesome surprise!). I won't go into what he said but I will tell you this: nobody left the room uninspired. Apparently, it is very rare that BillG comes to these orientations (though there is always at least one of the Senior Executives there) so I was pretty lucky. And the luck didn't stop there: somehow I also ended up scoring a corner window office with a killer view of the Cascade Mountains in the distance.I can't even begin to express how awesome it feels to be here in Redmond surround by so many brilliant and enthusiastic people who sincerely care about their products and the customers who use them. While I definitely won't be able to discuss the technical things that are going on here, I am hoping to use SPT as a way of expressing that human side which is often concealed by the company's size. How to do that is still up in the air though since my primary goal is to not get fired. ;)To our readers at Microsoft: I'd like to make the most of this opportunity and meet as many people here as possible to get a feel for how things work throughout the company. If you are interested in meeting up for lunch some time, please drop me an <a href=mailto:t-rlevy>email</a>.

Mike Temporale
01-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Congrats on the internship. Sounds like you could be working with Neil?

I can't even begin to express how awesome it feels to be here in Redmond surround by so many brilliant and enthusiastic people who sincerely care about their products and the customers who use them

I have a couple friends working for Microsoft, and I would agree with what you've said here. Hands down. I have not come across anyone that cares about their job, the company, or the product as much as the people I know who work at MS.

It's a shame the only thing the media can write about Microsoft is bad press. Enjoy your term, I'm sure you'll do well.

:rock on dude!: :beer:

possmann
01-07-2004, 03:57 PM
:multi: :way to go:

Good luck at the new job!

kcwester
01-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Congratulations, Robert. I had the honor of meeting you at the LA User Group Tour and was very impressed with your knowledge and friendliness. Keep up the good work--and enjoy the weather! :D

semifinite
01-07-2004, 06:46 PM
congrats! i did an internship in the mobile devices division last summer (also as a PM) and it was a blast. you're going to have a great time.

Macguy59
01-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Excellent opportunity for you ! I don't think it was 'luck' that earned you the corner office :wink:

spg
01-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Congrats Robert, and welcome to the Pacfic Northwest! I have to assure you... this much snow and ice is very unusual. Don't let it scare you away. ;)

encece
01-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Congrats on the new job. I hope it becomes a long time career for you at MS. Sitting next to a guy who just got his Masters from RIT recently...packaging engineering, not software, but I thought I'd throw that in anyway! :D Good Luck!

Kris Kumar
01-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Congrats Robert,

I envy you...I have been on Redmond Campus..Corner Office..WOW !! I just love the setup over there...Pool table..Punching bags..awesome Cafe in each building...Free Coke !!
Not to mention working for Microsoft Mobile Team...the team which will be having the best growth within Microsoft in the coming years.

All the best...

Kris

Gorskar
01-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Free coke???
All we get is free Orange juice - but you do get to watch the funky machine slice and squeeze the oranges :)

Seriously though Congrats, hope you do well. Put in a good work for me eh :)

Neil
01-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Sounds like you could be working with Neil?

Thankfully they've stuck Robert one floor below at the opposite end of the building from me. :P

And, I have to say, I blame Robert for the lousy weather we had so far this week. Things were fine until he brought the Rochester snow with him!

*grin*

Neil

Graffiti
01-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Heartiest congratulations to you, Robert on your appointment! I do find it a great interest that an internship at Microsoft could land you in a corner office: With a view to boot! That's cool ... All the very best!

Jason Dunn
01-08-2004, 05:22 PM
I've said this privately, but I'll say it publicly too: way to go Robert! :D

dollardr
01-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Hey Robert. I am 70 miles from Rochester in Syracuse, NY and its -10 degrees today at 1:00 p.m. Sounds like you picked a good semester for your internship!!!