View Full Version : Media Player / Napster

handyman
12-30-2003, 05:39 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.steelbytes.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.steelbytes.com/</a><br /><br /></div>Can I play WMA songs on my SmartPhone that are downloaded from Napster?

Macguy59
12-31-2003, 05:11 AM
Can I play WMA songs on my SmartPhone that are downloaded from Napster?

Legalities aside . . . wma files regardless of where you got them will play just fine on your smartphone.

handyman
12-31-2003, 01:32 PM
byteme

Thanks for the answer.

I read someone else yesterday that I can't play Napster-downloaded songs because of the SmartPhone 2002 OS.

True or False????

Luzerman
12-31-2003, 02:40 PM
Are you sure about that byteme? I've been hesitant to join any music service other then iTunes because many devices and PDAs don't handle DRM properly so you can't play the music you purchase on them. I know that with iTunes, at least a while ago when I tried it, there was a work around where you could burn an Audio CD then re rip it and get non-DRM digital copies.

Macguy59
12-31-2003, 02:50 PM
Are you sure about that byteme? I've been hesitant to join any music service other then iTunes because many devices and PDAs don't handle DRM properly so you can't play the music you purchase on them. I know that with iTunes, at least a while ago when I tried it, there was a work around where you could burn an Audio CD then re rip it and get non-DRM digital copies.

Hmmm I hadn't thought of that angle and I was thinking of the older Napster. I will do some research on it.

handyman
12-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Luzerman

That was the workaround I was thinking of trying.

Macguy59
12-31-2003, 04:23 PM
Luzerman

That was the workaround I was thinking of trying.

OK after doing some searching . . . Some people have had luck using Windows Media Player 9 to burn the DRM encoded WMA files from Napster to CDRW. Then use your favorite ripper (like CDex) to rip them down into MP3 or reencode them to WMA again.

pk
01-01-2004, 09:16 PM
I am fairly certain SmartPhone 2003 supports DRM WMA files.

I hate the fact that the workaround is to burn and re-rip. Everytime you touch the music file, quality diminishes. Besides that, what a time waste!

Macguy59
01-02-2004, 12:03 AM
I am fairly certain SmartPhone 2003 supports DRM WMA files.

I hate the fact that the workaround is to burn and re-rip. Everytime you touch the music file, quality diminishes. Besides that, what a time waste!

Yep but it is the only solution for 2002.

handyman
01-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Should I get SmartPhone 2003?

Where do I get SmartPhone 2003?

Luzerman
01-02-2004, 04:13 PM
right now I think there is only 1 smartphone 2003 device and that is the SPV E200. I don't think you can buy it in the United States unless you have it imported from Europe so it will be a bit pricey.

coaldat6
10-12-2004, 06:00 AM
I have Verizon service with the Samsung i600. Although my phone came with O/S 2002, I was able to download and install O/S 2003 from Verizon's website when it came out.

Using the new Windows Media Player 10, I was able to upload songs I bought on Napster onto the SD card in my phone. It works great.

Napster now allows you to upload their songs onto portable devices like the smartphone (without paying $.99) and they will play as long as we continue to pay their monthly subscription plan and sync the phone occasionaly to update the license HOWEVER - this only works if your phone has WMP 10, which only the new Audiovox has. Older smartphones don't, and there doesn't seem to be any upgrade available.