View Full Version : Honeymoon is over now

Macguy59
12-30-2003, 02:42 AM
and I have to say I'm not nearly as excited about the smartphone as I was. I never considered myself a power PPC user (and still don't) but I sure wish I hadn't sold my 2215 :( I find myself more and more firing up a Tungsten T I had gathering dust for things like Avantgo, Excel work and just the bigger screen/better fonts in general. I am seriously contemplating going back to a 2 device solution (PocketPC phones are just too klunky). How are the rest of you holding up now that you've had quality time with your smartphones?

leigho
12-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Not sure how long you mean by quality time but I've had mine 2 weeks and still love it as much as before. I suspect you've had yours longer and I have kept my iPAQ 3970 but I can see them both having a place in my day. The iPAQ is better for carrying around at work, Bluetooth GPS in the car and reading e-books and Avantgo. The phone is better for travelling to and from work, shopping and those moments where I'm bored waiting for a train, the wife in the car etc etc. Also for entering quick tasks and checking my calendar whilst on the move.

I don't see the phone ever replacing the iPAQ, mainly because of the size of display and input methods, but I think the two will complement each other for a while yet.

Leigh

Macguy59
12-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Not sure how long you mean by quality time but I've had mine 2 weeks and still love it as much as before. I suspect you've had yours longer and I have kept my iPAQ 3970 but I can see them both having a place in my day. The iPAQ is better for carrying around at work, Bluetooth GPS in the car and reading e-books and Avantgo. The phone is better for travelling to and from work, shopping and those moments where I'm bored waiting for a train, the wife in the car etc etc. Also for entering quick tasks and checking my calendar whilst on the move.

I don't see the phone ever replacing the iPAQ, mainly because of the size of display and input methods, but I think the two will complement each other for a while yet.

Leigh

Yeah I've had mine for a little over a month now and the point of buying this smartphone was to reduce the number of tech toys I carry with me on a daily basis. A $399 phone makes sense if it is also my primary PDA type device which it is increasing becoming not. The bottom line for me is if I'm going back to carrying PDA with me then I don't need a smartphone any longer.

Luzerman
12-30-2003, 05:16 PM
I've had my MPx200 since the week they were released in the US and I still really enjoy using mine. Yes, the WMSP2002 OS has some glaring problems and the WM line has some paradigms which are stupid beyond belief-Smart Minimize-but overall the experience is a good one.

I find I carry my PDA with me but I only use it for reading eBooks and the occasionaly Word or Excel document but I don't carry it with me everywhere like I used to. If only Palm Reader would come out with a Smartphone version so I could ditch the PDA.

Macguy59
01-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Going back to a 2 device solution. Since I can't stand having to use the Tungsten T I'm going to pickup an iPaq 1945 from Best Buy today. Good thing my girlfriend is not fully aware of my tech toys buying habits . . . yet :mrgreen: