View Full Version : Active Sync trouble

hard
12-19-2003, 02:04 AM
While trying to load new programs Active Sync seams to be placing the program into a file in my desktop PC and not into the phone. While loading the program I'm never asked if I want to install in main memory or on :?: to the card. While exploring the phone no new software can be found but I am able to find it in a file on the desktop PC. Any ideas on how to get Active Sync to redirect to the Smartphone

Santa Fe
12-19-2003, 03:25 AM
Which choice are you selecting after downloading? Selecting "open" downloads to your smartphone. Selecting "save" puts it on your PC, where you can always download it to your phone. Also there are special instructions for programs that use "cab" files for installation. I'm not at my PC now (on smartphone) but if you do a search I'm sure you will find instuctions. And most PPC files don't work on the smartphone.

Macguy59
12-19-2003, 03:49 AM
Which choice are you selecting after downloading? Selecting "open" downloads to your smartphone. Selecting "save" puts it on your PC, where you can always download it to your phone. Also there are special instructions for programs that use "cab" files for installation. I'm not at my PC now (on smartphone) but if you do a search I'm sure you will find instuctions. And most PPC files don't work on the smartphone.

What I think he's saying is that apps are not installing to the phone like they are supposed to. I have the exact same issue. The Verizon techs are clueless as to what the problem is. A/S fires up and gives every indication that the app installed correctly but the install screen never pops up on the phone asking whether to install to the phone or storage card. The only solution I have found is to execute the .EXE on the PC, then browse to the A/S install directory and manually copy the .CAB file to the phone and execute the install from there. BTW before it get's suggested running the most current version of A/S (3.7.1) and have uninstalled and reinstalled it 3 times-rebooting in between-with no change.

hard
12-19-2003, 04:31 AM
byteme has the situation correct

Macguy59
12-19-2003, 04:41 AM
byteme has the situation correct

At this point the only solution I have is what I wrote above. Extract the .CAB file from the .EXE and copy it to the phone. Once there use file explorer to execute the CAB. Should work that way, although a few won't.

Santa Fe
12-19-2003, 05:08 PM
I tried to duplicate your problem but it always works for me. It does take some waiting however. Have you tried re-installing Active Sync?

Macguy59
12-19-2003, 06:08 PM
I tried to duplicate your problem but it always works for me. It does take some waiting however. Have you tried re-installing Active Sync?

I assume your responding to the original poster, but like I said above uninstalling and then reinstalling A/S makes no difference and I suspect won't solve his problem either.

Santa Fe
12-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Yes, had not seen you had tried the old re-install trick a number of times.
Is this problem occuring with all software or just some?

Macguy59
12-19-2003, 06:29 PM
Yes, had not seen you had tried the old re-install trick a number of times.
Is this problem occuring with all software or just some?

Virtually all apps. Even those that have certification. I have racked my brain for a solution, but not knowing if this is a A/S(+PC) or i600 problem makes it difficult to trace. I will do some more experimenting to try and isolate the problem area. FWIW I have seen others with this problem on other boards, though Verizon claims to know nothing about it :wink:

Santa Fe
12-20-2003, 06:25 PM
byteme, I wonder if it has something to do with the number of programs you have on your phone? I just have a few but I bet you have a bunch!

Macguy59
12-20-2003, 06:32 PM
byteme, I wonder if it has something to do with the number of programs you have on your phone? I just have a few but I bet you have a bunch!

Actually no I don't. I have IA Album and PocketTV installed but that's it. And I doubt the number of apps you have installed would be a factor unless there wasn't sufficient storage space left on the phone itself. I didn't get the chance to do some more experimenting yesterday but hopefully before the weekend is over.

hard
12-21-2003, 02:01 AM
I did a complete reinstall of A/S and reset my phone. All appears to be working normally now

Santa Fe
12-21-2003, 05:05 AM
Great! I had feeling that might work for some.